Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: 1985 Phantom A5 in Pink

No affiliation.  This guitar is being sold by Thunder Road.

What do you think of this reference to a second serial number underneath the first, while still claiming that the pink finish is original?

"Up for sale is a 1985 Hamer Phantom A5 electric guitar in its original and rare pink finish. USA made, Hamer branded Floyd tremolo, triple bucker design in the bridge with a single coil in the neck. There is a faint ghost serial number underneath the actual serial which is hard to read. I am not sure if it was stamped and then re-stamped, or stamped and refinished before being sent out to the original dealer. This instrument has had the same owner since new."

https://reverb.com/ca/item/61247823-1985-hamer-phantom-a5-pink

mrge50xxyj34gxdbwfct.jpg

This one is 514892…a very pale pink champagne finish.

AFF6EA8D-5F9D-4C62-9CB6-6C30DEDE82B8.jpeg

Yes, they did. 

42A74F22-DE92-4405-A2F9-DE198D716957.jpeg

My son has a 1985 6-in-line Phantom in Fuschia (hot pink).  It was an absolute time capsule and his dream guitar.  So weird that it happened to pop up on eBay when we were on a family vacation, and it just worked out that we snagged it with a spotty international internet connection for under a grand!

On 9/26/2022 at 7:29 AM, cmatthes said:

My son has a 1985 6-in-line Phantom in Fuschia (hot pink).  It was an absolute time capsule and his dream guitar.  So weird that it happened to pop up on eBay when we were on a family vacation, and it just worked out that we snagged it with a spotty international internet connection for under a grand!

Wow, you are the dad of the year!

• 2 months later...

I bought the pink A5 with the double serial number. There is a number beneath the paint that is pressed into the wood and is still visible. The second number is stamped in black over the pink finish. There is a third serial number listed on the warranty card, which I suspect belongs to another guitar. Supposedly this guitar was purchased new and had only one owner, but I suspect that the guitar was stolen at some point and repainted, although I didn’t find evidence of another color in any of the cavities. It also arrived oddly with an unusable second trem bar from a completely different style of trem.

It’s a cool guitar regardless, but I wish I knew it’s backstory.

4BD2E4DD-0502-43F9-A6FF-CB7F0057675D.jpeg.fd61595cab1151fd4c244877c3647f66.jpeg

On 9/25/2022 at 10:53 AM, GuitarGuy65 said:

One question I have though is in 1985 Hamer didn't have "branded" Floyd Roses yet, did they?  It would've come with a real Floyd Rose at that time to the best of my knowledge.  I wonder if the owner switched it out later...

No, not back in '85. 

8 hours ago, Thumbworn said:

It also arrived oddly with an unusable second trem bar from a completely different style 

That second trem bar might be for a sustain block trem, which was generally not well-regarded, but would be of significant value to anyone wanting to do a dead-nuts restoration of an early '80s Hamer equipped with one of those units as OEM. There are others here that can help you figure out whether that bar belonged on a sustain block trem. 

On 9/26/2022 at 10:29 AM, cmatthes said:

Is that the one pictured in The Book sporting a white guard, case candy, and checkerboard strap?

36 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Is that the one pictured in The Book sporting a white guard, case candy, and checkerboard strap?

No - the one in the book is my son’s.  It’s currently downstairs.

Archived