Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Prices are going crazy!

tommy p

Is there any reason someone would think a korina Vector is worth $9,000???  WTF were the "limited" Wilcutt differences?  Did they stuff the control cavity with $5000 in cash?

https://reverb.com/item/61267546-hamer-usa-korina-vector-brazilian-rosewood-1958-flying-v-style-coa-2007-natural

I guess that makes this one a bargain...

https://reverb.com/item/46401334-hamer-1997-vector-electric-guitar-used-natural-korina-1997

Sorry if I sound bitter.  I've been trying to grab one of these for years and the asking prices have gotten crazier and crazier, yet I don't see any selling for those ridiculous prices.  I need a "market correction". lol

Askin' ain't gettin'.

The Brazilian boards are the only difference I know of with the Willcutt ones from 07. I had one, it was great.

A lot of these asking prices went ballistic when Gibson did the run of korina V's and Explorers with Brazilian boards for $20,000 and they sold out instantly. The 'regular' korina ones now are $10,000.

But those prices are either attention grabbers or dreamers. Still, in a few years, that may be a bargain. Or they may be back to where they were.

The codicil to 'askin' ain't sellin'' is: just because it's there doesn't mean you have to buy it...and at that price I seriously doubt it will sell.  I'm not in the market for anything nearly that pricey, so it makes no difference to me, especially in this economic climate.  If you're motivated, then hit the 'watch' button on Reverb.  If the price goes down, then Reverb will tell you.  And if it don't, they won't.

Which reminds me, I saw my first full-blown 'Holiday' (Christmas-themed, not Halloween-themed) commercial on TV today (Oct 1st).  If you're a real glutton for punishment then, instead of looking at hyper-expensive Reverb listings, load up the kids (and/or nephews/nieces, and/or grandkids) with sugary breakfast cereal then take 'em to a big toy store.  The clock is ticking:

https://www.xmasclock.com/

That one is pretty lofty but a bunch have sold in the $4500-5000 range in the last couple of years.  And the $10k/$20k inferior Gibsons certainly make a good case for the Hamers to be a great deal at $9k.

On 10/1/2022 at 12:27 PM, Dave Scepter said:

Oh God here we go again... old men whining about fuk'n prices again!.. over and over!!.. This shit will never end! 🤣

If I went to the grocery store and bread was $15 a loaf, yeah, I'd bring that up!  It's literally remarkable, hence the remark.  And BTW, I'm 27.  I didn't realize that was an "old man".

OK, I'm not 27 but you didn't know that.

On 10/1/2022 at 9:54 PM, L2A3 said:

That one is pretty lofty but a bunch have sold in the $4500-5000 range in the last couple of years.  And the $10k/$20k inferior Gibsons certainly make a good case for the Hamers to be a great deal at $9k.

THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Hamerica

On 10/1/2022 at 9:10 PM, specialk said:

The bottom run was a special run from Hamer. I forget the differences, but it #28 of 72. 

The difference was pickups, a double stamped serial number and probably a bit slimmer necks on the earlier ones.

So lucky I bought one of these one and a half years ago. It truly is a stellar guitar. Bad thing is, with these prices, I won't be playing it drunk any more.

Shipping is down! Last year a guitar to California cost Cliff, the talented half of the renowned Hispanic Reggae duo, Jim y Clif, $140 to ship UPS. I just sent one same, same for under $90.

9 hours ago, topekatj said:

There are two Hamer Korina V’s at Guitar Center for $4200 each. One is red (good condition) and the other is NAT (excellent condition).

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Hamer/?typeAheadRedirect=true#pageName=brand-page&N=32072+32072&Nao=30&recsPerPage=30&postalCode=94564&radius=100&profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

I actually saw those already.  I've contacted both GC's about them and never get a response.

10 hours ago, tommy p said:

I actually saw those already.  I've contacted both GC's about them and never get a response.

Try calling. They are as bad about email as they are about photography.

One of the $10k Gibsons showed up at DGS today. Is this something that Jol would have called pallet wood? 🤑

spacer.png spacer.png

https://www.davesguitar.com/collections/gibson-custom-shop-historic-explorers-firebirds-flying-vs/products/1958-korina-flying-v-reissue-white-pickguard-natural

6 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

Doubtful the v posted above would have shipped as a natural while Jol/Frank were there. 

fender would’ve charged extra 

One maker's funky-looking wood pairing is another maker's 'charactered' or 'figured'.  :rolleyes:  IMO, just like mirrorimij kinda hinted at, I kinda doubt that Gibson V's Korina wood selection woulda passed muster at Hamer, at least not without a coat of paint or without using better matching Korina pieces on that particular guitar than it did.

14 hours ago, RobB said:

I had a Vector that had a straight-grained half and a black-limba, “pallet wood” half. Completely mismatched. Somehow this abomination made it through QC. 

Was it from the original run or later?  I seem to remember a few from original run.  For the original run the Korina boards were glued together while left in the raw form.   Notches were cut on the side to accommodate the wood clamps- remember the grain  is angled to run with the “V”.   You are gluing end grain to end grain and I snapped a few apart to test them.  You didn’t see what you had until it was faced/planed and cleaned up in a process a few steps AFTER gluing.

when we got to Connecticut and production was no longer the focus we actually faced and planed the boards FIRST so we could see what we were dealing with.  1 extra step but it gave a better look at the board.

hope that makes sense…..I think the best run was the small run with the notch in the crotch lol…this alleviated all of my fears of one coming apart if one of those wing tips caught the edge of a cabinet in a rock rage……

if it’s from CT and built prior to July, 2000 send me more info or a pic I must have been smoking pot that day.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:50 AM, tommy p said:

If you are truly interested in something at GC Used, always call them. I think their email notification works about as well as their ability to take pictures & describe the product ("comes with case" is my favorite desc).

Shipping is down! Last year a guitar to California cost Cliff, the talented half of the renowned Hispanic Reggae duo, Jim y Clif, $140 to ship UPS. I just sent one same, same for under $90.

I shipped a custom tele build yesterday FedEx Ground from Baton Rouge to an Austin suburb. Insured for up to $2,500 and the guitar was in a lightweight molded ATA inside the case's shipping box, which was inside a slightly bigger box. 34 pounds. $111, of which $31 was a fuel surcharge. Texas is just next door, and it ain't THAT big, folks.

2 hours ago, Jeff R said:

I shipped a custom tele build yesterday FedEx Ground from Baton Rouge to an Austin suburb. Insured for up to $2,500 and the guitar was in a lightweight molded ATA inside the case's shipping box, which was inside a slightly bigger box. 34 pounds. $111, of which $31 was a fuel surcharge. Texas is just next door, and it ain't THAT big, folks.

It takes forever to drive across it!  I didn’t think I would ever get the fuck out of there.

My mechanic had an interesting comment about a BMW convertible he was restoring. He said he thought he could get top dollar for it today because of the nostalgia factor, but the value will decline as those with an emotional attachment to that model age out/die. Wonder if this goes for guitars? (Sorry, can’t remember Year/model of BMW) 

Archived