Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Modded '51 Nocaster

Greg G

I find it very, very hard to believe that a 1951 Fender would have such a clean, unstained maple fingerboard if it was owned by a union member session player. 

Looks like a 'Crapola-caster' to me, or at best somebody's idea of a bad joke.  Does this mean that, theoretically, if you used all four inputs on a tweed Bassman at once with one guitar and one input signal, and recorded the four inputs as separate channels way back then, you could get paid x4?  Seems to me that playing the same part through different amps simultaneously with the same guitar and exact same input signal, even with different PUs and different EQs for each amp/'channel', wouldn't have gotten you paid extra for each amp/'channel', otherwise we woulda all heard about this little recording 'scam' long before.  Or at the very least, heard about Les Paul tinkering with this method to record back in the day.  <_< :rolleyes:

Edited to add:  Seems to me that simultaneous multi-amp use with one guitar and one input signal for all amps would have been a nightmare grounding-wise, especially back in the days when US electrical plugs didn't have a third 'ground'  prong but only a 'polarity' switch on the amp.  If nothing else, I'd think it'd be a great way to get electrical 'noise' and 'hum' on your recordings.

12 hours ago, beezerboy said:

I posted in the Tele forum... they say its real & has been discussed before. apparently Bruce Springsteen has/had one. 

I have never been a big Springsteen fan. Finally I know why.

The Springsteen Telecaster, according to Rick Petillo, had four pickups and four output jacks.  No mention of more than one control plate.

"According to the late Petillo, Springsteen's guitar had originally been owned by a record company and featured an incredibly shady installation of "four pickups wired into extra jacks that would each plug into a separate channel on the recording console."

Made by routing out a significant area under the pickguard, this mod would ensure that session guitarists would earn four times typical union pay for playing four slightly different versions of the same guitar solo. "

This actually makes sense as an early method of mechanical multitracking.  The payola story sounds contrived to me, but I guess it's possible.  

Linking the Springsteen guitar to the abomination for sale on Reverb is pure B.S. IMO

yeah... kina fuckin stupid. and as mentioned, if that was a studio guitar. I would think it would show way more wear. I mean... some of the wear parts almost look unplayed.  and that big crater between the bridge and control plate looks like it was painted after the damage

Archived