Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Godin - I got lost on my way to the design forum.

4 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

I'd wager the build quality and playability are superb. It really does need a 6-in-line headstock, though.

Hmm.  The Tally seems to have dodged that issue.

I love every Godin that I own, but there are some issues with that Radium's design.  I think mostly the extended control plate that looks like it's about to fall off the body.

38691__10_383x@3x.progressive.jpg

53 minutes ago, Eli said:

Hmm.  The Tally seems to have dodged that issue.

Not with me, it didn't. But the Tally has/had a rabid following.  To each, his own.  I'm just not enamored of Fenderesque body shapes with Gibsonesque 3+3 headstocks. 

56 minutes ago, Eli said:

the extended control plate that looks like it's about to fall off the body.

Agree 100%  I cannot even see an engineering/design reason why they made it so disproportionately long.

58 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Agree 100%  I cannot even see an engineering/design reason why they made it so disproportionately long.

1) It's a cost-cutting move. They put the output jack on the control plate and avoid having to rout/drill for a side jack.

2) That's what she said.

I like certain Godins, but in recent years they've been making guitar models with less mahogany and a lot more basswood...and I'm not a fan of basswood (too soft, dings too easily, too neutral as a tonewood for my taste).  Several years ago, Musician's Friend had chambered mahogany-bodied Godins on clearance when those lines were being discontinued, now they're hard to find used in the U.S., though those models can still be found used fairly easily in Canada.  Besides, if you want a Tele, go buy a real Tele.

1 hour ago, crunchee said:

I like certain Godins, but in recent years they've been making guitar models with less mahogany and a lot more basswood...and I'm not a fan of basswood (too soft, dings too easily, too neutral as a tonewood for my taste).  Several years ago, Musician's Friend had chambered mahogany-bodied Godins on clearance when those lines were being discontinued, now they're hard to find used in the U.S., though those models can still be found used fairly easily in Canada.  Besides, if you want a Tele, go buy a real Tele.

How cheap were they going for?  The ones like this? I grabbed this one from them this year and it was like pulling teeth to get a discount, which surprised me for a guitar from 2017.

Screenshot 2022-08-20 163202.png

1 hour ago, WorstBandName said:

How cheap were they going for?  The ones like this? I grabbed this one from them this year and it was like pulling teeth to get a discount, which surprised me for a guitar from 2017.

Screenshot 2022-08-20 163202.png

Nope, the ones I'm referring to are the 'Core' models, like this Core CT (no affiliation):

https://reverb.com/item/51071988-godin-core-ct-p90-in-sunburst-with-gig-bag-pre-owned

IIRC, they were getting blown out on clearance for about US$600 several years ago, approximately circa 2015 or 2016.

There is a more 'deluxe' version called the Icon (the predecessor to the higher-end Summit models, not the cheaper Summit SG model or any other less-expensive Summit model with a basswood body), one difference between a higher-end Summit model and an Icon is that the Icon uses ebony for the fretboard, while the higher-end Summits use Richlite.  No affiliation to any of the Reverb listings below:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=godin icon

And in case anybody was trying to forget about Richlite:

https://guitargoblin.com/richlite-fretboard-review/

On 10/6/2022 at 8:30 PM, crunchee said:

Nope, the ones I'm referring to are the 'Core' models, like this Core CT (no affiliation):

https://reverb.com/item/51071988-godin-core-ct-p90-in-sunburst-with-gig-bag-pre-owned

IIRC, they were getting blown out on clearance for about US$600 several years ago, approximately circa 2015 or 2016.

There is a more 'deluxe' version called the Icon (the predecessor to the higher-end Summit models, not the cheaper Summit SG model or any other less-expensive Summit model with a basswood body), one difference between a higher-end Summit model and an Icon is that the Icon uses ebony for the fretboard, while the higher-end Summits use Richlite.  No affiliation to any of the Reverb listings below:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=godin icon

And in case anybody was trying to forget about Richlite:

https://guitargoblin.com/richlite-fretboard-review/

Thanks for the run down there!  I happened to find that I liked these newer Summits after getting one used for what felt like a great price, prior to grabbing this blue one as I have a thing for blue guitars.  Trying to keep their model names and changes straight took me a bit.  Like this one is called, "Summit Classic LTD Desert Blue w/ Bare Knuckle."  Classic CT, LTD, Supreme, etc. didn't really make it easier as all those seem to have different specs within their groups.  It seems that the run of ones I was into was only around from 2015 until about 2020.  Seems like their new Summits are bassword, In house pick ups, and simpler colors.

Godin makes some solid stuff, very popular with jazz jazz/fusion guys I've noticed.

They have a couple of nice looking guitars..... but I gotta say they really have had a lot of ugly ones over the years.

I think their approach was to put ergonomics and function over style.

Which makes sense BUT, if I'm gonna buy a guitar, it's gotta look cool!! 

4 hours ago, JGale said:

This one is stunning! Maple over chambered Cedar. Set neck.

image.png

I tried one of those, really cool! Definitely their best looking solid body in my opinion.

On 10/9/2022 at 5:45 PM, sonic1974 said:

They have a couple of nice looking guitars..... but I gotta say they really have had a lot of ugly ones over the years.

I think their approach was to put ergonomics and function over style.

Which makes sense BUT, if I'm gonna buy a guitar, it's gotta look cool!! 

Very true!   Behold the Multiac Nylon SA (Synth Access). 

4690.jpg

But Godin is in the same business family as Simon and Patrick, Seagull, Norman, Art & Lutherie, and the former La Patrie.  These are all beautiful instruments, "handmade" in Canada.

I love my La Patrie concert classical guitar!  Unbeatable for the price.

LAP-CONCERTLH-1200x1200.png

And my first guitar EVER was (and is) a Simon and Patrick Wild Cherry.  When I got it brand new in 1986, it was under $120 USD.

y2nezhgfbdzspaiun8qk.jpg 

• 2 months later...

Snagged another Godin Core earlier this month; I prefer form and function over looks, and I prefer these 'flat top' Core models over the 'Core CT' ('Carved Top', which looks more 'beveled' than 'carved' to me) models.  Especially since the 'flat top' Core models use a harder mahogany back (I'm guessing it's probably Khaya AKA African Mahogany), rather than a Spanish Cedar back (Spanish Cedar is about as soft as alder, and BTW it's the same wood they use to line cigar boxes and the aluminum tube containers on fancy cigars), plus Godin seems to have a much easier time matching the mahogany on bodies than they did with Spanish Cedar:

https://reverb.com/item/63593064-godin-core-hb-trans-red

Funny thing I've noticed is that the body shape on a lot of solid and routed body Godins (both set-neck and bolt-neck models) that I've seen over the last twenty years, reminds me of a slightly stretched early '60's Harmony H74, which also reminds me a lot of the Hamer Talledega body shape.  Original vintage Harmony H74s (and the recent Eastwood Airline H74 'reissues') are fairly easy to find on Reverb, therefore looking them up online for a comparison on body shapes is easy.  BTW, the bass bout body shape on all of these might be a nod to single-cut Teles...or it could be a nod to the 'Neo-Cutaway' Harmony H74s. So, is the Harmony H74 the 'grandpappy' of the Tally body shape?  Or a cousin?  :huh:  Who knows?

1 hour ago, JGale said:

My read between the lines is it splits the Humbucker.

https://godinguitars.com/h-d-r

The HDR (High Definition Revoicer) does not split the HB, at least not on my Godin Icon Type 2 Classic models...it's basically a 'boost' mode/circuit, driven by a internal 9-volt battery, and switched on by using a push-button on/off switch next to one of the controls...which is the 'secret sauce button' that topekatj was asking about.  The Icon models I own do split the two HBs, or more correctly, have two positions on the five-way PU selector switch for 'split' HB mode for the neck and bridge PUs each, and two positions for full HB mode (neck and bridge PU each, the fifth position is for both PUs together in HB mode by using the five-way PU switch); but it's entirely separate from the HDR.  The switch positions are explained on this spec/promo sheet here:

https://godinguitars.com/manuals/hsheet10_icon2_classic.pdf

If you can't access this .pdf here, you can easily find it on an online search for the Godin Icon 2 Classic model.

Archived