Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Thinking Of Taking Up The Bass

Go to Reverb, set the search parameters for 'used', 'bass', '$0~$500', and you'll get a wide selection of ideas.  It's also a bit of a crapshoot as, if you're buying from another beginner, they may not be the most fluent and experienced in describing any features like neck adjustability and action.  If you're looking for a 'collectible' bass, expect to pay extra, and beware of the seller not being any more knowledgeable about the bass than you are, as a lot of the time those 'collectible' basses are owned by other guitarists, and not players who are strictly bassists.  If you don't have much experience with bass, talk to someone who plays primarily bass a lot and pick their brains, and/or drag them to guitar stores and pawn shops for ideas.  Also, keep in mind it's usually much easier to buy a used bass than it is to sell one.  Good luck!

Not only is it two less strings, you only play one string at time (at least, starting out).

Your key word in your quest is "starter". 

You'd need to decide what scale to start with. Typically it would be either short (30"-30 1/2") or full/standard (34"). Full-scale basses typically have more resonance but if you've been a guitarist I'd recommend starting on a dirt cheap short scale bass and stepping up to a better model (perhaps more than once) if you have made enough progress to merit a better instrument...and that may include going from short scale to full scale. Medium scale isn't too popular and long scale is too big of a jump from a guitar, to a starter bass, IMO...and I don't know of any long-scale starter basses anyway.

The other day I was in a pawn shop and tried out a Squire Bronco Bass, which is about as cheap as you can get. I'm going to get laughed at for advocating for this particular model, but it played and sounded fine for a starting model. Ergonomically it felt a lot like a Fender Mustang Bass. 

I wouldn't buy anything upscale until I had mastered or at least gotten component on a beginner's instrument (regardless of scale). Then you can say of your new acquisition "I'm worth it." 

That was the scenario for me a few decades ago---started with a '69 Gibson EB-1 (sounded awful), then a Kramer Duke (better tone but less resonance) before buying a new Rickenbacker 4003. 

3 hours ago, hamerican gigolo said:

If you become proficient on the bass, you'll never lack for a gig.

Good luck!  👍 

That's the idea. Guitar players are a dime a dozen. Bass players are always in demand.

11 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

You have to own a PA system and a vehicle to move it with if you are going to be a bass player, and you will be the only one setting up and tearing down. 

You have been warned!

I don't quite understand. I do all of that now as a guitar player. Hahahaha

Hamer USA Cruise or Chaparral are still bargains imo. For cheaper, I really like Ibanez: the old Roadstar basses are typically really good. The made in Japan SR 800s are very nicely made and sound really good, the skinny necks and thick gloss finishes may or may-not be your thing, those are typically still low priced.  The newer Indonesian built Ibanez are also a lot of bass for the money, but buy used so that you don't lose the money! I've had a couple of the higher end Indonesian Ibanez BTB series, and there's almost nothing bad to say about those, they come in 4/5/6 string.

- just today 10/17 I found a nice '87 mij SR800(?) at a pawn shop for $160 + tax, there are still some deals out there!  It plays and sounds as good as I remembered. 

16 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

You have to own a PA system and a vehicle to move it with if you are going to be a bass player, and you will be the only one setting up and tearing down. 

You have been warned!

However, if you want to practice playing bass at home, a small practice amp will do, or even whatever guitar amp you already have.  It's not like you need to compete with a loud drummer or a Marshall stack at home when you play bass, when it's just you playing!  I only play guitar and bass at home, and I use the same 18 watt or 6 watt tube amps for bass home use that I use for my guitars, I simply turn the volume and bass down so that I don't damage the speaker.  Ever notice somebody driving past with their stereo cranked and the bass all the way up, where you can't even tell what notes the bass is trying to reproduce, or even what the tune is they're playing?  Bass guitar isn't just bass, there's a lot of low-midrange and midrange frequencies used too.  Otherwise you might as well be playing drums.

If you can find one of the import Hamer basses (kind of a B-4S kind of thing), the short scale is guitarist friendly and the thing is way fun to play.  You aren't going to get a bowel-loosening low end out of it, but the all-important low mids and mids will be there in spades.  Besides, if you drop more than about $150 on a used one, you aren't looking hard enough.

On 10/8/2022 at 3:40 PM, rugby1970 said:

any ideas on a good starter 4-string bass guitar?

Are more gig opportunities popping up down there after Hurricane Ian washed away all the previous bass players in the area?

I think those Music Man Stingray imports are decent too.  

(I probably read this here years ago)

A young man decided he wanted to play bass, so he bought a 4 string and an amp setup, and got signed up for a weekly lesson with the local teacher.  The first week, they went through the basics, including how to hold the bass, tuning, and where some of the notes are.  Second week, the student didn't show up for his lesson, the teacher called him thinking he must have forgotten about it, when asked the student replied "sorry, but I got a gig".  

I was brought one of these to repair when I was in Nashville, I used it for a jam to test it and was very surprised how well it worked. It's still thumping at a studio in Gallatin.  

https://reverb.com/item/57898522-1979-peavey-tnt-100-ss-series-solid-state-45-watt-1x15-bass-combo-re-capped-serviced

Right On!
I suggest going on your local craigslist and buying a Squier Jazz or P bass, putting a new set of strings on it, adjusting the neck and intonation yourself, and learning 10 Motown full song bass lines, and 5 disco bass lines, and obviously the bass lines to your favorite music. Cost you about $150 all in, and a few hours of time. 

4 hours ago, DaveL said:

I would caution.    Be prepared to spend at least THIRTY FIVE MINUTES to properly master the bass.     

Lesson 1:   Playing an open A with one arm in the air!    

image.jpeg

Lesson 1 applies even when one is stuck in big-ass plastic "womb" stage prop: 

images.jpg

4 hours ago, DaveL said:

Be prepared to spend at least THIRTY FIVE MINUTES to properly master the bass

I'll add to this advice that one should find a quiet, secluded location to spend that time.

9bda4f81-51f4-473d-8959-eaa77696bd5a_tex

10 Motown basslines learned in a few hours? I guess if you don't care much about feel, power and groove!

Yeah a used MexiFender/Squier is a great start with no money lost when you sell. As far as US brands that inexplicably go for lowish $, Hamer, Guild and G&L are great choices. Check the Talkbass classifieds. 

Just remember, you can't be fakin' and wankin' mindlessly with a bass in hand. 

On 10/10/2022 at 11:32 AM, Jimbilly said:

I think those Music Man Stingray imports are decent too.  

Yeah, I'd try one of those, and maybe one of the newer Fender Mustangs w/ both P & J pickups.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:52 AM, DaveL said:

I would caution.    Be prepared to spend at least THIRTY FIVE MINUTES to properly master the bass.     

Lesson 1:   Playing an open A with one arm in the air!    

image.jpeg

Thread title should be "Maybe I can learn to play the bass" 🎃

Archived