Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Riot Act

If anyone remembers Riot from 40 years ago, there is a new band called Riot Act which has Rick Ventura from the original band.  They are out on the road now opening for Raven.  Riot Act is not the same as Riot V.  Both bands draw from the same legacy, but Riot V has no original members.  The Riot Act setlist is mostly old Riot songs and a couple from the new album. 

Raven does not draw a large crowd, at least in my area, so you will likely have an unobstructed view.  Raven play like they are putting on the biggest show of their lifetimes regardless of whether or not there is an audience.  They just love playing. 

Check the tour dates. 

I had that Raven album produced by Micheal Wagener (sp?)  it was not too bad but yeah 

they were definitely part of that wave of bands like Anvil that time passed by.     I think it was Raven, Metallica

and one other band touring just before the time Kill Em All came out.   In Boston,  they drew 15 people

at the Rat.   a fact that continues to blow my mind.    edit:  it looks like Metallica is letting Raven open up

a couple of shows this fall  in honor of the label owner (Johnny Z)    kind of cool.  

Rick Ventura was cool,  he wrote some of cool tunes from Fire Down Under.   

5 hours ago, DaveL said:

I had that Raven album produced by Micheal Wagener (sp?)  it was not too bad but yeah  I think it was Raven, Metallica and one other band touring just before the time Kill Em All came out. 

Raven album, “All for One.” “Kill ‘em All For One Tour 1981.” Saw that tour. Both bands killed. Like Anvil, Raven never broke through. Unlike Anvil, however, they were actually a super-tight, arse-kicking metal band. 

50 minutes ago, RobB said:

Raven album, “All for One.” “Kill ‘em All For One Tour 1981.” Saw that tour. Both bands killed. Like Anvil, Raven never broke through. Unlike Anvil, however, they were actually a super-tight, arse-kicking metal band. 

Ever see the documentary Anvil: The story of Anvil ? Got to love those guys. 

5 minutes ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

Ever see the documentary Anvil: The story of Anvil ? Got to love those guys. 

Sure I have. Enjoyed it, but they aren’t that great. Raven didn’t play guitars with dildos, but their drummer DID use a cricket helmet to bash his cymbals. 

No disagreement here, Dave. Great, grinding song! Beatle-y harmonies, too. What's not to love?

I try not to come off as the, "Know-it-all of All Things Metal." I'm not. Far from it, actually. I mean, these guys got CHRIS-EFFIN_TSANGARIDES to engineer/produce their comeback record, so who am I to say? Anvil had a great run in the '80s playing in front of 100,000s festival crowds throughout Europe, so those numbers fly in the face of my snarky comments, no? Their doc tells it like it is, and they didn't follow through with album sales like some of their contemporaries. You're rooting for them, as they seem like such sweet, sincere dudes.

In 80's L.A. (my era/hometown), there were more than a few popular metal bands that got signed who never broke through. Armored Saint (killer then, better now), Malice (super-tight Priest-clones), Sound Barrier (nearly a decade before Living Colour and contemporaries of Bad Brains/Fishbone), who were all dropped from their labels, not because they sucked, but because they got lost in the shuffle of the hair bands and were unlucky. That's how I see Anvil. The songs they released for that doc were WAYYYYY better that the stuff in their salad days. "Metal on Metal" is an 80s classic of the genre; silly and heavy at the same time. Big in Japan, yes...Great ending to their documentary.

Anvil came through my area this year.  Lips made sure to lecture the audience on politics without realizing he was in a town where no one agreed with him.  When no more than 30 people are in the audience, he ought to know better than to make some of them not want to come back for the next tour. 

On 10/12/2022 at 12:57 PM, DaveL said:

Rick Ventura was cool, he wrote some of cool tunes from Fire Down Under.   

This. My fave tunes on that record, actually.

"Feel the Same" -Rick Ventura    
"Don't Bring Me Down" -Speranza, Reale, Leming, Ventura, Sandy Slavin
"No Lies"    -Ventura

Archived