Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA eBay Hamer Blind Owl Special basket case

I've seen pics of a lot of molested Hamer's. But this takes the price. Lörd Cheeseus!! 

I wonder if Greg or Murcat could fix it.....

But hey, it has a sustain plate mounted on the tuners. I bet that it gives  g r e a t  tone! Those plates are rare as hell, only heard rumours about their existance. It's like spotting a rare bird in a South American forest.

I love it... I have a soft spot for old beat up guitars... "lots of rust though and wonder if the neck is straight and if the pickups work?"... half tempted to spend a year cleaning her up, installing new frets, removing that slider switch & pickguard and just playing her as she deserves to be played again 

1 hour ago, Dave Scepter said:

I love it... I have a soft spot for old beat up guitars... "lots of rust though and wonder if the neck is straight and if the pickups work?"... half tempted to spend a year cleaning her up, installing new frets, removing that slider switch & pickguard and just playing her as she deserves to be played again 

Just do it! 🖤

Hypothetically it could be re-topped, the screw holes filled, and refinished as a sort of Ace Hamer, but it would mean: a) paying no more than $300 for the husk, and b) someone with mad skills and time on their hands felt like pouring that time into it for no particularly good reason.

Too beat for me. But finding the story might be fun. Canned Heat was a great show in the late 60s early 70s. Went to their website this morning, seems the band is still alive, but none of the original players are. I think the last time I saw them (early 80s?) they were pretty much a tribute band. Good. But not The Heat.

None of anything I read explained a beat up early 80s guitar with the name of guy that died in 1970 on it. But it's fun to jiggle the brain every once in a while.

As bad as it is, there is something truly rock and fucking roll about it.  Once I was convinced I wouldn't contract anything requiring hospitalization from it, I'd rock the shit of it.  At least assuming it stays at its current price point, which with 5 days left is a big assumption.

15 hours ago, Disturber said:

I've seen pics of a lot of molested Hamer's. But this takes the price. Lörd Cheeseus!! 

I wonder if Greg or Murcat could fix it.....

But hey, it has a sustain plate mounted on the tuners. I bet that it gives  g r e a t  tone! Those plates are rare as hell, only heard rumours about their existance. It's like spotting a rare bird in a South American forest.

Groove Tubes/Aspen Pittman used to sell a very similar design, and marketed 'Fathead' plates for headstocks back in the early '80's (maybe earlier), though the only official ones I've ever seen were in guitar magazine ads, and were made in Les Paul or Fender headstock shapes.  I dunno if this particular example was custom made or just simply homemade, as all you really need is a reasonably heavy piece of metal plate (IIRC, the originals used bell-quality brass), drills, and the proper tools to cut or shape it with, to make one.  But yeah, they're supposed to enhance sustain:

http://www.guitarsite.com/newsletters/990816/10.shtml

BTW, anybody know if anybody has found a process to duplicate the amount of rust and corrosion on that case latch in the photo? :rolleyes:  If the guitar and case was stored in that damp of a climate, one might wonder what the thing smells like, or if it's warped in any way.  :blink: :wacko: :ph34r:

55 minutes ago, crunchee said:

....the guitar and case was stored in that damp of a climate....

6 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

...from a State that just suffered a massive Hurricane 🌀 

Looks like this guy snagged it as it was floating by.

6 hours ago, Hbom said:

Too beat for me. But finding the story might be fun. Canned Heat was a great show in the late 60s early 70s. Went to their website this morning, seems the band is still alive, but none of the original players are. I think the last time I saw them (early 80s?) they were pretty much a tribute band. Good. But not The Heat.

None of anything I read explained a beat up early 80s guitar with the name of guy that died in 1970 on it. But it's fun to jiggle the brain every once in a while.

Harvey Mandel is still going, not an original guy, but he was there for the major days.

18 hours ago, Eli said:

Harvey Mandel is still going, not an original guy, but he was there for the major days.

"...not an original guy..."??
I don't know anyone else delivering this level of belly laughs for over four decades.

gettyimages-140625530.jpg

Looks like that Special still has two of the original Hamer Ultimates strings installed by Curt Meissner at the Arlington Heights facility during final set up.  That must be worth something. 

Archived