Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Did David Grissom play Hamers?

donner

On his album Loud Music Grissom thanks „Hamer Guitars“.

Despite he's known and pictured only with his PRS-axes, does anyone know, if he might have been a Hamerist in his earlier days?

Grissom.jpg

yes,  Hamer was very specific in their approach to endorsements.   I believe the stringent requirements are

1)   does anybody know who you are? 

2)  are you willing to buy the guitar?  

Meanwhile, I was able to find this old thread from 2005:

He, and many others, is named as an „artist“, not as an endorser.

Famous other names are listed, too.

@Serial knew a thing or two.

I would like to know which model he played.

Probably one from Kiz' former stable? 😉

My lead singer recently had some dealings with him over a legal matter. Can't lie... was quite a prick about things. My buddy did make a rather boneheaded mistake with a song but basically got treated like shit for trying to make it right.

Robert Cray is a real arsehole.  When I saw Cray in concert, he treated his band like crap.  He said, out loud, that he didn't know his bassist's name, but that it didn't matter anyway!  My friend was foolish enough to ask Cray for an autograph, and let's just say that he didn't get it.  In fact, he couldn't mention Robert Cray afterward without using the F-word.  I still enjoy the album, Strong Persuader, but I would never pay to see him again.  Let's face it:  the protagonist described in the title track is a selfish dick, and so many great songs are at least somewhat autobiographical.

13 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Robert Cray is a real arsehole.  When I saw Cray in concert, he treated his band like crap.  He said, out loud, that he didn't know his bassist's name, but that it didn't matter anyway!  My friend was foolish enough to ask Cray for an autograph, and let's just say that he didn't get it.  In fact, he couldn't mention Robert Cray afterward without using the F-word.  I still enjoy the album, Strong Persuader, but I would never pay to see him again.  Let's face it:  the protagonist described in the title track is a selfish dick, and so many great songs are at least somewhat autobiographical

Funny you should mention Cray and the "Strong Persuader" album. It recently made its way back into rotation. Adding to it the context you lay out with your live experience one wonders if, as you say, how much of these songs are autobiographical as they are not the usual "woman done me wrong" blues songs.

As for the way he treated his bass player (not knowing who he was), he must have learned that when he was, ironically, playing bass for Otis Day and the Knights.
You may recall when Dorfman, Schoenstein, their buddies and their dates arrived at the Dexter Lake Club roadhouse, Schoenstein called out to Otis, but he pretended he didn't know him.
This was the example he was shown way back in 1962.

Robert Cray's best work was in "Animal House".

Archived