Hamer Fan Club Message Center

p90 specials, come standard with pickguards?

jujisque

52 minutes ago, kizanski said:

"Hello? Mr. Lou Theer?  Yes hello... Can you make my guitar look worse?"

"Specifically, can you make a pickguard for my Hamer Special?"

"I cannot. There are companies on the web. Hope this helps.
Best,
L. Theer" 

3 hours ago, burningyen said:

Towards the end of Hamer USA's existence they were putting pickguards (and wraptails) on P-90 Specials:

special1.jpg

Only on a custom order basis.

21 hours ago, burningyen said:

Interesting. Gryphon Strings must have custom ordered the one I posted, because I bought it new from them.

In the waning years of Hamer USA, there was a pretty good supply of guitars in the warehouse that had been accumulated from maybe 2008 or so.  These were available to dealers on a regularly updated list, and there were several guitars that had non-standard features that showed up on that list that I saw.  This very well could be one of them, but that wasn't a regular production feature.  There were very few slab-bodied Specials made in the last five-seven years that Hamer was around, actually.

34 minutes ago, Armitage said:

I thought Greg made a few guards for people?

Of course he has.  
Specifically, when it comes to the weird pickguards Hamer put on these Juniors/Specials, Greg shaped the area near the neck/lower horn so that they are more visually appealing.

So this (weird)...

phzq4ulwl5t2tsi8njwl.jpg

...looks more like this (nice!)...

kizjuniorbody.jpg

44 minutes ago, MCChris said:

Disagree with the "more visually appealing" part:

More visually appealing than a real vintage Junior? No.
I was just referring to the bump out with the attachment screw.  That has to go.

image.png

Put black screws on that pick guard and it would look fine.  Actually improves the unfortunate finish.

On 10/21/2022 at 9:44 PM, BadgerDave said:

Put black screws on that pick guard and it would look fine.  Actually improves the unfortunate finish.

A set of oven knobs would detract from it too.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:20 AM, burningyen said:

Towards the end of Hamer USA's existence they were putting pickguards (and wraptails) on P-90 Specials:

special1.jpg

My first Hamer was just like that, but it was a run done for Willcutt's and listed as a "Special Korina".  Shouldn't have sold it.  

Hamer Korina Special 2007 Cherry Transparent  custom order with WCR Godwood pickups image 1

Hamer Korina Special 2007 Cherry Transparent  custom order with WCR Godwood pickups image 8

Archived