Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1978 Greco Copy of Hamer Standard #0000

Interesting to see a late '70s copy of a 4-digit (#0000) selling for more than a real 4-digit could bring just a few years ago...

https://reverb.com/item/61961963-greco-1978-ex800hr-cherry-sunburst-s-n-j787740-10-09?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=Criteo-US-Conversions-2021Q4&utm_content=300x600

I'm sure it's a great guitar, but that price is bananas, especially with the inferior wood and construction.  Of course, there's a sucker born every minute.

If nothing else, visit the ad for the pics and the colorful description:

Greco's Japan vintage, rare that is soaring at the premiere EX Type.
White sycamore top with flame, mahogany pan cake body, 3 Peace maple neck with rosewood fingerboard.
The pickup is also compatible with the coil tap that was installed in the flagship model. PU-0 of 2 Base mounted.
The original Explorer has a strong impression of a flat sound, but this is a low / A very fat sound is characteristic because the mid is very swollen and comes out.
Although there is a feeling of use, the electrical system etc. are original and can be recommended as a collection.

There is a feeling of use suitable for the age, such as scratches and dents, missing paint, and corrosion of parts.
There is no problem in playing condition. There is something like a reset mark on the neck joint. Possibility of finish correction is large throughout the neck. There is a rear pickup height adjustment screw change. Bridge elevation and screw head scraping. The pot knobs are probably different.

Product rank :B : Pretty, scar & There is a feeling of use, but there is no problem in normal use
year of manufacture :1978
country of manufacture : Japan
weight :4.14 kg
serial number :J787740
frets rest : 50% Less than
truss rod : closing / There is enough room in the loosening direction
neck condition : Good
Case : soft case
accessories : none

Greco 1978 EX800HR Cherry Sunburst  (S/N:J787740) (10/09) image 2

It's nearly $3k overpriced!

While I agree that this is over priced, it's certainly not $3K too much. These regularly sell in Japan for $2K+. Personally, I prefer the EX models from 80-82, but have also had really good experience with the 78-79 models, though the bodies on those tend to be multi piece and pancake similar to the Ibanez rocket roll and destroyer models.

As with other MIJ models, vintage and modern, I would never suggest that they are 100% comparable to a Hamer. But don't think they are not close, they are guitars that were built with a lot of care and skill.

1 minute ago, currypowder said:

But don't think they are not close, they are guitars that were built with a lot of care and skill.

My experience with Japanese guitars from the '70's is that they were not.

44 minutes ago, kizanski said:

My experience with Japanese guitars from the '70's is that they were not.

I don't necessarily disagree, until you get to about '78 depending on the brand. Once you get to about 80, I stand by my statement. At least based on my experience.

6 hours ago, currypowder said:

I don't necessarily disagree, until you get to about '78 depending on the brand. Once you get to about 80, I stand by my statement. At least based on my experience.

I'll defer to "Curry" on this one.  He's the "Zen Master" when it comes to these Japanese guitars.  He sold me an Ornett's guitar that is fantastic.  It's never been in the case since he sold it to me.  Put some Rio's in it, because the pickups weren't great.  But everyone asks, "Will you sell that"?

FbDy0ch.jpg

u5ZQG6r.jpg

47 minutes ago, The Shark said:

I'll defer to "Curry" on this one.  He's the "Zen Master" when it comes to these Japanese guitars.  He sold me an Ornett's guitar that is fantastic.  It's never been in the case since he sold it to me.  Put some Rio's in it, because the pickups weren't great.  But everyone asks, "Will you sell that"?

FbDy0ch.jpg

u5ZQG6r.jpg

Glad to see you still have that one, Shark. 

I wouldn't call myself a master, just a guy with a lot of experience, mostly good, with MIJ guitars.

12 hours ago, currypowder said:

Glad to see you still have that one, Shark. 

I wouldn't call myself a master, just a guy with a lot of experience, mostly good, with MIJ guitars.

"Lots of experience" = Master!

I really like the guitar.  Probably the most bang for the buck of any guitar I own.  

I recall a great MIJ Fender Strat that I wish I still had. I also recall my first electric, a 1960s MIJ clone of a Vox Phantom, that very nearly caused me to give up guitar.

Interesting knob alignment on that Greco. Those white control cavity covers, and the honking-big round switch cover instead of a trianglish one - daring aesthetics, that.

Archived