Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My latest self-assembly guitar

custom neck from warmoth.

Body was purchased loaded, so I didn't do any wiring, and was kinda forced into the gold hardware scheme.

I mean, I could have replaced the bridge, but then I'd also have to swap out perfectly good pickups just cuz they have gold metal, so I just went with it.

I got gold frets, gold pearloid inlays, and gold tuners.  I skipped getting the fretboard scalloped because I wanted the gold pearloid inlays and gold frets, and those options are disallowed if scalloped.

That's cool, tho, cuz I already have other scalloped neck guitars.

Sounds fantastic.  The bridge position *maybe* lacks a little edge on the low end, but boy does it have a sweet, articulate high end. Sounds like angels. Neck position is perfectly dirty without being oversaturated, sounds like an overwound single coil, which is what I want. The middle position has some good nasal twang.

Fretboard is Ziricote and the neck is Canary.  I'm really starting to like the appearance and feel of Canary wood.

IMG-8070.jpeg

Nice!  What does the back of the neck look like?  Gerald Weber (Kendrick Amps) used to make some of his amp cabs out of canarywood, due to the acoustic properties the wood has, so he said:

https://www.wood-database.com/canarywood/

What wood is the body made from, other than the maple top?  I do like a Partscaster that needs little or no extra work to make it your own!

body is swamp ash. Here's the back of the neck.  It's just got an interesting grain, feels really nice under my thumb, too.

image.jpeg

Thanks to all of you who gave me advice about mounting necks with no holes drilled. It worked perfectly, neck is tight in the pocket, no issues.

Again, thanks!

just checked the listing from when I bought it:

DiMarzio 36th Anniversary in the bridge...DiMarzio Pro Track in the neck. Never heard of that before, but love the tone.

I still have a red quilt strat body and a EVH-ish blue Warmoth Soloist body that is currently up for sale.  The success of this one, plus the last three Warmoth necks (the others are all scalloped) are making me start to think what my next neck purchase from Warmoth should be for them....

...but I am getting tired of having so many guitars.  This one is probably my #1A guitar. Trem is dive only, and not scalloped, but the jumbo frets kind of give a scalloped feel on the meedly-meedly frets. My #1 is a Warmoth soloist with the Goncalo Alves/Goncalo Alves scalloped neck. I think I put picture up of it before.  it is the PLAINEST, MOST BORING Goncalo Alves figuring you could ever be terrified to see. Baked Maple has more figuring.  But the guitar plays and sounds great, and the neck is perfect with low action.

So I'm hoping I can restrain myself and not try to make any more.

I think it's called "what God intended for us".

I don't see any reason not to order reverse headstocks when I buy from Warmoth.

Kingwood on Padouk:

IMG-8104.jpeg

Goncalo Alves on Goncalo Alves.

I never could have imagined LESS grain than on this.  But the wood feels pretty good, for what it's worth.  This is my #1 guitar.

IMG-8105.jpeg

By the way, the final key for me doing this was discovering Hipshot's Universal Mounting Plate for locking tuners.

I mean, first, Hipshot is good quality, in my opinion. Second, you can usually find new from $60-$75, whereas it seems like other good quality tuners are more like $95-$100.

And most importantly, the UMPs let me put tuners on in less than 10 minutes. No pilot holes to drill. ALWAYS perfectly aligned.

(the holes in the picture are the original holes...not used for Hipshot installation)

419LM9in65L._AC_.jpg

8 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I think it's called "what God intended for us".

I don't see any reason not to order reverse headstocks when I buy from Warmoth.

Kingwood on Padouk:

IMG-8104.jpeg

This ^^^. 🍆🍆🍆

Thanks for the kind words, which I'll use into a segue into shameless self-promotion heh heh.

When I fabricated my most recent demo plank for Carondelet Ts (my take on Telecaster), it dawned on me I didn't have a great video of them in action. Here's a featherweight ice blue metallic "contour Tele" (arm and belly cuts like a Strat) loaded with the Ts, demo'ed by good pal and Carondelet artist Seth LeCoq. I think he's using his Helix straight into the workstation.

On 10/29/2022 at 8:25 AM, Brooks said:

Nathan those look great. Whats the one w/ the sustainer?

It's a Schecter Banshee Elite-6 FR-S in gloss natural. I think there should be an SLS in there because it has stainless steel frets, but Schecter is sometimes inconsistent in its nomeclature.

I want to get rid of it because it has a floyd rose and isn't scalloped, but it's just too good to sell.

Archived