Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA, maybe everybody knows this about shipping but me (re: cost at location vs paying ahead)

I took a boxed guitar case to UPS store and asked how much to ship to Los Angeles and they quoted me $91.

Fortunately I had recently received a humbucker ring for Prototype from Frets on the Net and noticed he used pirateship to send it (this is not a pirateship advertisement but I will take this opportunity to plug FOTN)

I entered the weight and dimensions there and got a UPS quote of $50.02. 

I naively thought that the rate was the rate. 

Maybe the UPS store employee made a mistake or quoted me expedited shipping, but I'm going to be more careful about how I ship things in the future. 

(At the end of the day I got lucky and found a buyer much closer to me, so both FedEx and UPS were relatively affordable.)

16 minutes ago, tomteriffic said:

Th UPS stores are not "official" UPS owned and operated shops and can charge whatever they want.   If you can get a quote off the website and print a shipping label then drop it off, you're miles ahead.

Yup, UPS Stores are 'franchisees', and get a cut of the funds they collect.  Luckily, the town I live in has an actual UPS shipping office/shipping depot, the hours where they accept packages aren't as convenient (3:30~6:00 weekdays, not open on weekends) but they are easily at least 20% or more cheaper than any UPS Store for shipping.

5 hours ago, crunchee said:

Yup, UPS Stores are 'franchisees', and get a cut of the funds they collect.  Luckily, the town I live in has an actual UPS shipping office/shipping depot, the hours where they accept packages aren't as convenient (3:30~6:00 weekdays, not open on weekends) but they are easily at least 20% or more cheaper than any UPS Store for shipping.

Those hours suck, though.  I mostly use FedEx because 1) The depot is close by 2) It's open long hours and 3) I have an account, which is a bit cheaper and waaay convenient.  It looks like Pirateship is offering some of that same convenience for UPS and USPS.

try these guys...

Ship Now | Ship Guitars

my experience (3 times) is excellent service at a cheaper price than dealing with Fred's Ex directly (they ship through FX). pay the bill, drop it off. 3 days later its on the other side of the country for like 100 bucks

EDIT: they email a shipping label with everything filled out (you provide the weight & dimensions), print it. go to a FX shipping store and they put the label in a plastic holder and slap it on the box qnd done. 

During Covid I sold a relatively expensive guitar. I have a UPS account and printed up a label. Was told that because I was insuring the guitar for a large amount of $, it had to be dropped at  UPS depot. The hours are limited and I was unable to take the package myself.My wife took the package and arrived at tthe depot a few minutes after their closing she I was still allowed in the depot. Unfortunately they would not accept the package saying they were closed and sent my wife to a UPS store. She didn’t know any better and ended up paying double, I was not particularly happy but what could you do? Yes as an account holder but pretty much got nowhere!
arniez

I use shipnerd, however I also use shippo for small things  (usps first class with tracking works nice). 

I've heard Pirateship is pretty similar.    The thing is,  make sure your weight and dimensions are accurate and

make sure you account for the bulge if you use alot of packing...  yeah, I know... that's what she said.   

cos carriers are definitely auditing the weights and sizes and you'll get an adjustment a week or two later.  

a digital scale works great,  it usually pays for itself,  It also allows you to make avoid

weight weenies, a pre emptive strike of sorts,   by putting it in your ad.   

Archived