Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Got Ripped Off Trying to buy a Hamer on Craigslist.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:04 PM, LucSulla said:

Yeah, there is definitely no "type."

When I used to work at an absurdly huge wine, spirits, and finer foods retail establishment, our loss prevention guy was a former cop and a bit set in his ways when it came to profiling. In trying to find out why nearly $1,000 worth of booze had vanished one afternoon, we found on the security footage that our LP was so busy following around a young, black male with saggy jeans that he completely missed the mid-aged gentleman in a three piece suit stocking a cart full of high end scotch and tequila and pushing it right out the front door without a peep from anyone. 

One shouldn't let such things make a cynic of them, but my experience is that a thief will definitely exploit expectations to their advantage. 

However your losing the $100 came about, I'm sorry you're out the money.

They were working together!

On 10/20/2022 at 10:11 PM, rickrock999 said:

So I have bought many guitars on Craigslist without an issue, but today was different.

Found a Hamer USA on Craigslist, after talking with the guy by text (of course he wouldn't answer the phone) I decided to take the one hour ride to go see guitar.  Like many who advertise on CL the pictures were crap so another reason to go see it. I get to the guys house, check out the guitar and we negotiate a price of $1650. I had to go back out to the car to get the money. I had taken $1500 cash out of the bank and had another $100 bill and some twenties in my wallet. I took the $1500 and the $100 bill and 3 twenties from my wallet (I was going to give him the extra $10 as there was nowhere to get change. )

I go back in and count out the money for him. He takes the money, I look down to inspect the contents of the case one more time when he suddenly says there is $100 missing. I count it again and yes it was missing. (this was after I counted it out) I go back to the car to check and of course it wasn't there. I go back in and he won't even look at me. I am in his house so what can I do. I'm not about to start a fight in his house. So I just walk out without the guitar. Man am I pissed. So I learned a $100 lesson (plus gas and time) always count out the money, then make him count it in front of you. This is one more reason to meet in a public place. (before now I liked to go to the house to play it) Be Careful out there when dealing with CL. Thanks for letting me vent.

So what Hamer guitar or bass was this?

Is the add still up?

It would be fun to call him to ask if he found the $100 he dropped during the sale from everyone here. lol

Thanks,

HR

15 hours ago, Ham Rex said:

They were working together!

They absolutely weren't, lol. The guy with the sag was a regular the sales staff all knew, and we eventually caught the guy in the suit. 

It's interesting to me how this ended up a Rorschach test of sorts. Couple of y'all sound like my dad every time someone on death row gets exonerated. "Well, he may have not done that crime, but he was guilty of something!"

15 hours ago, Ham Rex said:

So what Hamer guitar or bass was this?

Is the add still up?

It would be fun to call him to ask if he found the $100 he dropped during the sale from everyone here. lol

Thanks,

The ad is still up, I will post it, but if you contact him please don't mention me, or the $100. As far as I am concerned it's over. The guy still has my phone number I don't want him to start harassing me. And like I said there is the (very) small chance that it was me who miscounted.

On 10/23/2022 at 11:12 AM, charv712 said:

F that guitar anyway. Think of it as you spending $100 to help you avoid that lousy pile and having saved the $1500 to put towards something better soon. 

That is the way I am looking at it. Got the cash standing by for another Hamer. Problem is it's hard to find good deals these days. and Hamers are pretty much all I am interested in.

Archived