Hamer Fan Club Message Center

When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What's Still Around

kizanski

"Turn on my V.C.R., same one I've had for years
James Brown on the T.A.M.I. show, same tape I've had for years..."

This is how it's done. (No. Hamer. Content.)

GREAT clip, tight as a drum and energy overload.  The real fire starts at about 13:00.  

As an alternative clip, I present the 1971 version of James Brown's band, live in Rome.
This band was not (yet) as tight as the the 1964 incarnation, but what they did have was a young Bootsy Collins and about 15 minutes of the most hypnotic Mashed Potato you've ever seen a background dancer pull off.

We've discussed the TAMI Show performance here previously, and years later, my personal opinion of that milestone ain't changed.

Not familiar with the Rome performance. Kizanski's on the money RE less tight but still fun.

And Jeezus---sweat was pouring off of JB after just two minutes. 

And the guitar player besides Mr. Collins is playing a Vox thinline.

Ironically, I spent a long time last weekend reading Thomas Lake's humongous three-part CNN investigative monograph on whether or not Brown was actually murdered by OD.Ditto his third wife. Not pretty, but has enough sources, disclaimers to make for interesting reading if you're open-minded

JB could command a stage and transfix an entire audience like few others. Absolutely riveting showmanship and energy.

Love James Brown!......................now there is a performer! He put it all out there all the time from beginning to end..........................saw him twice live. The band was on fire also, hardest working man in show business? You dam right he was!

JB always found great players. One of his drummers - Clyde Stubblefield - lived in Madison and was in a band with my roommate. I got to jam with him several times, including on my 40th birthday. That will always be a highlight of my life. Just a phenomenal talent, and a genuinely nice guy. I have his sticks here somewhere.....

2 hours ago, hamerhead said:

JB always found great players. One of his drummers - Clyde Stubblefield - lived in Madison and was in a band with my roommate. I got to jam with him several times, including on my 40th birthday. That will always be a highlight of my life. Just a phenomenal talent, and a genuinely nice guy. I have his sticks here somewhere.....

One of his drummers?? Clyde was THE drummer!   I only wish he could have gotten paid for every time one of his drum beats was sampled in the '80s and '90s.  

9 minutes ago, kizanski said:

I only wish he could have gotten paid for every time one of his drum beats was sampled in the '80s and '90s.  

So does Clyde...

• 2 weeks later...

This album has the long form versions before they were edited down to the singles (Sex Machine, Superbad, etc).

This is my jam;

PS - love that Police tune, too

Archived