Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Mick Mars Retires from Touring

jisham

Mick's no longer touring with the Crue.   The whole band should put a fork in it as far as i'm concerned but John5 is rumored to take his place on the upcoming World Tour with Def Leppard.  I saw the supposed Crue "farewell tour" several years ago and it was an absolute train wreck, as were the videos I saw of them from the recent Stadium Tour.  No thanks.

Having said that, there's no doubt Mars wrote some amazing riffs and the guy's a balls-out warrior for touring with that horrible disease he's faced for so long.

Mick Mars is way underated as a player. And his tone on the first Crue albums is killer, especially on Shout At The Devil. Mick and Tommy have always been solid in the Crue.

"There's no doubt Mars wrote some amazing riffs and the guy's a balls-out warrior for touring with that horrible disease he's faced for so long."  @jisham

^^^^^
This
Mick Mars is one of those guys who has paid his dues and then some.   His "in studio" guitar work to the uninitiated is loaded with tedious nuisances which at first blush appears to be just a simplistic riff you have heard dozens of times before in typical formulation - how terribly misguided.  

If you like process sounds, Mick Mars is your man.  While live Mars was generally more miss than hit, but in his early years he was at the top of his game. 

In the early 90's, I scored front row tickets on a Cheap Trick Motley Crue tour.  I was on the  Nikki Sixx side enjoying the female portion of the crowd entertaining Nikki.  I got hit in the head by more panties and bras that didn't make to the stage than any other.  The funniest thing I was wearing an old Uncle Dick approved Orange 5 neck guitar t-shirt and Mars came over during his solo, smiled, pointed at the shirt and gave me a high sign. 

So to Mr. Deal,  thank you for the guitar lessons and the riffs.  Much respect!  I can only hope they find a cure for your condition and your physicians provide you with the best care possible.  

Hamerica

Always liked Mick’s sound & style.

I’ve only seen his retirement reported by other outlets that claim to have received official word from Mick’s rep or the band.  

I’m waiting to see something more official from the band before I will believe this 100%.

As far as I’m concerned, Mick is the sound of that band. He was an average shredder, but as a complete package in a band with one guitarist, few people are as distinct. 

Tommy is a good drummer, but anyone who can hit hard and keep a groove can do what he does. I don’t know what I think of Nikki, and there isn’t a more consistently shitty live singer in a major act than Vince. He sucks now, and he sucked all the way back at the US festival. 

I was watching the “final” show last night and marveling at how the desiccated living-corpse that is Mick Mars was still delivering the goods, and top shelf at that. He has a tone and a swing that is just monstrous. He’s the definition of a guitarist that isn’t a virtuoso lead player but has a feel for being an ensemble player in what is basically a power trio set-up that’s nothing short of being a master. At the end of the day, that’s really where it’s at. 

I love John 5, and if takes the gig, I wouldn’t blame him a bit. If Crue wants to become a pastiche of itself, he might as well get that bag. But they should just hang it up once their obligations are met to venues and their live crew when this run is done. 

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Mick is the lame one in Mötley Crüe.  ;)

He was damn sure a lot older than his bandmates, and I always figured that  played a part in the contrasts in their behavior when they first formed.  I guess wisdom came with age.

3 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I was watching the “final” show last night and marveling at how the desiccated living-corpse that is Mick Mars was still delivering the goods, and top shelf at that. He has a tone and a swing that is just monstrous. He’s the definition of a guitarist that isn’t a virtuoso lead player but has a feel for being an ensemble player in what is basically a power trio set-up that’s nothing short of being a master. At the end of the day, that’s really where it’s at.

That monstrous tone and swing is everything.  Mötley Crüe is a guitar band, and Mick made the licks loud, rude, and aggressive. 

4 hours ago, bsteff666 said:

Always liked Mick’s sound & style.

I’ve only seen his retirement reported by other outlets that claim to have received official word from Mick’s rep or the band.  

I’m waiting to see something more official from the band before I will believe this 100%.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 2.40.51 PM.png

I just came back to share that, but I see its already been shared.

Now I will believe it.

Its a little disappointing…but I get it.

51 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Is that Diablo Jim??? 

Lol

I will always be a proud headbanger to some degree and I still have a pair of camo shorts somewhere but I never had facial hair to that extent- and damned sure never will!!!

4 hours ago, LucSulla said:

In their heyday I was only ever a casual Crüe fan and Mick's playing never grabbed me due to the lack of shredding solos but he kinda blew me away when I saw that final show (the filmed and edited version, not live).  I was really struck by just how busy he was throughout.  I always gave big ups to Lynch, EVH, Lifeson, etc. for creating so much sound that a rhythm guitar wasn't needed but had never really paid enough attention to Mick to "get" how well he filled what would have otherwise been a massive amount of dead air.

23 minutes ago, cynic said:

In their heyday I was only ever a casual Crüe fan and Mick's playing never grabbed me due to the lack of shredding solos but he kinda blew me away when I saw that final show (the filmed and edited version, not live).  I was really struck by just how busy he was throughout.  I always gave big ups to Lynch, EVH, Lifeson, etc. for creating so much sound that a rhythm guitar wasn't needed but had never really paid enough attention to Mick to "get" how well he filled what would have otherwise been a massive amount of dead air.

In some ways, I think you almost have experience in a three-piece rock band to really appreciate how great he was in that band. Filling it up like he did when it's just you puts him in some really rare air when you're looking at his work as an ensemble player. Obviously, he never had the chops of an EVH, but when it came to just the song, ole Mick definitely moved a lot of air. 

7 hours ago, specialk said:

Man, I really wish that I too will make such glorious noise when I am 71 years old. RESPECT!! 

I have a soft spot for Mick, I got a promo copy of “too fast for love” at Nuggets in Boston (awesome used recorde store that all the college dj’s would sell their promos to. Lol. Loved that album, really cool interesting melodic stuff going on. I’m pretty sure I blasted too fast for love and girlschool’s screaming blue murder all summer. Btw autoimmune related diseases are some of the most strange and difficult to treat malady’s out there. What a warrior that guy was.

On 10/27/2022 at 4:31 PM, Steve Haynie said:

That monstrous tone and swing is everything.  Mötley Crüe is a guitar band, and Mick made the licks loud, rude, and aggressive. 

Yeah! I do love several tunes from their 1st 2 albums. Agree that they should have hung it up awhile back, along w/ Kiss, Priest, the Pantera "reunion", etc

John 5 is a tremendous technician, yet I can't seem to get into any of his solo music for some reason.

My favs are the first album, (some from the others) and Dr. Feelgood. 

The first one is just so raw like you happened upon this band practicing in your neighborhood in their garage. While Dr. Feel-good is on the other end and highly produced, it does a good job capturing the energy of the band.  Both had more consistent songs than the other albums, to me anyway.

Archived