Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jerry Lee Lewis

specialk

One of the true originals---just about one of a kind---who survived much longer than many folks thought he would. A redneck Robert Mitchumm and even more volatile.

Most music fans were probably surprised by his transition to country music.

Anybody ever read HELLFIRE: The Jerry Lee Lewis Story by Nick Tosches? Wanted to check that out decades ago but never did.

Damn, this one hurts.  The last sole survivor of the Million Dollar Quartet. 

My father was a fan of Jerry Lee's on all fronts.  He had records back when he was a rocker, reel to reel when he was all over the place and 8 tracks when he went country. To the original "Killer",  rest in peace sir. 

I think @Jeff R used to sport a specific Jerry Lee Lewis sentiment.      

A funny but honest moment was when Jimmy Swaggart got busted  and someone thought it would be a good idea to interview Jerry Lee.  Jerry Lee replied, "he and their other cousin Mickey Gilley never made as much money as that son of a bitch!" 

To his family, friends and fans, my condolences.  What a fantastic musician and entertainer  that man was.

Hamerica

A classmate at Bible school, Pearry Green, remembered meeting Lewis years later and asking if he was still playing the devil’s music.

“Yes, I am,” Lewis answered. “But you know it’s strange, the same music that they kicked me out of school for is the same kind of music they play in their churches today. The difference is, I know I am playing for the devil and they don’t.”

The two records chronicling the live shows at the Star Club in Hamburg are astonishingly perfect early rock and roll. RIP Killer.

I do love to play Whole Lotta Shakin’ onstage…

Mr. Lewis was on his way out a few years ago.  Rockology LLC has been selling his clothing, awards, guns, and even pianos for the last couple of years.  Jerry Lee Lewis had a stroke in 2019, and was recovering.  In 2021 there was a charity benefit concert at his ranch with only his band, no Jerry Lee.  There were prizes that included albums signed with a signature stamp rather than a true autograph.  Even though I had interactions with Stephen Shutts of Rockology, I steered clear of conversations about Jerry Lee Lewis' personal health.  It was not made public, so I did not ask. 

@LucSulla is absolutely correct that the Live at the Star-Club is one of those great live albums everyone needs to hear. 

Seeing Jerry Lee Lewis in concert back in 2010 was important to me.  He was one of those guys that established what we expect of rock and roll performers.  Play his music loud!

When he took to playing the piano his parents thought he would play in church.... until he was kicked out of Bible school. Rebel at a young age!!

RIP KILLER. 

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

Second only to Little Richard on my Mount Rushmore of Rock 'n' Rollers. 

Live at the Star Club is one of the all time great live albums. The killer damn near killed this poor German house band. 

The backing band on this seminal and raw rock album is none other than The Nashiville Teens…of Tobacco Road fame. They actually hang really well with the Killer and the guitarist really rips an awesome solo on one of the songs.  I love this album and the Live album that has the rest of the songs from this concert.  Again, just perfect rock and roll.

I think @Jeff R used to sport a specific Jerry Lee Lewis sentiment.      

Jerry Lee grew up in Ferriday, a country town in the Mississippi River cotton fields about two hours north of me. I never met Jerry Lee, but I hung out twice with Frankie Jean, his younger sister. Before her death, she ran an excellently stocked drive-thru liquor barn (yes, exactly what I typed). It was next to the family's childhood home, which she converted into a local tourist attraction, the Lewis Family Museum. It was a small humble house filled with Jerry Lee's old and very worn out pianos and every type of memorabilia you can imagine.

For example, here's the bathroom "chair" on which a young Jerry Lee and all the family's young'uns potty-trained. Of course I sat on it, I'd spent plenty of time loosening up next door at the barn. No, I didn't "use" the chair, I used the toilet for the grown-ups next to it. 

That One Time We Spent Our Wedding Anniversary with Jerry Lee Lewis'  Sister, Frankie Jean - Just Chasing Rabbits

Looking Back: Tour of Jerry Lee Lewis home in Ferriday offers unique view  of rock 'n' roll pioneer and his family - Mississippi's Best Community  Newspaper | Mississippi's Best Community Newspaper

No photo description available.

image.jpeg

Archived