Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Rooster" by Alice in Chains

...is coming up on its 30th anniversary as a single, although the album (Dirt) had been released several months earlier.

I wasn't much into grunge; the genre/phenomenon was after my time.

But "Rooster" is still quite potent sonically, chock fulla memorable guitar tones. The video is also powerful, even though it probably got cited as a mini-Platoon.. One of those songs I have to pull up on Youtube two or three times a year.

So where does "Rooster" rank in popularity among Alice in Chains fans? 

There's also a brief documentary that I thought was well-done, but what about the accuracy (considering the name of the site and the long disclaimer at the beginning)?

Rooster is an awesome cut! I've always been a 70's hard rock/80's metal guy, and I hated most 90's music. I consider AIC more hard rock versus grunge... I mean, Jerry actually plays with more than two fingers, and is a hell of a player. Other than a handful of 90's songs, the rest of it is junk IMO. A big exception is AIC and Soundgarden. Love that stuff!

I had Facelift and Dirt but kinda fell off the AIC bandwagon after that. Rooster is a killer track and I should revisit those two albums soon. Thanks for the reminder 

I like "Rooster" a lot, but it gets played so much that it's hard to evaluate it these days for me. It's definitely not my most-spinned AIC tune these days, but had it not been such a huge single, it probably still would be. 

Archived