Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Say You Buy a Vintage Guitar on REVERB…UPDATE: PIC!

RobB

Advertised with an OHSC. The guitar shows up in as-advertised condition, but resting in a (very) cheap, aftermarket case. In the case pocket was a postcard thanking me for the business and a discount code for my next purchase.

Is this something I should take up with the store owner? Should I politely ask him to kick me back a few bux for the misrepresented ad? The guitar is perfect, so I’m keeping it no matter what. 

Thanks to the help of a local HFCer of some renown, I purchased a NOS, Hamer-branded hard shell case. Here’s some teasers (detail pics to be added later…):

EBC94564-F5B2-4E20-AFEA-6BEA396C1471.jpeg

253B491F-19F1-48D4-8BCD-45845237BF09.jpeg

F4933738-63F5-492F-9CE3-20A6DBF6C163.jpeg

With the prices of vintage (and hell, NEW) cases being at ridiculous heights these days, I DEFINITELY would.  I’d be furious if I bought a ‘62 Esquire that was advertised as having the OHSC and it showed up in a reissue tweed case.  Not at all the same thing, and not acceptable.  If it was a ‘66 Jaguar and just said “Black HSC”, I’d be happy if it showed up in a brand new G&G case, but that letter “O” in the description has value and meaning.

10 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

With the prices of vintage (and hell, NEW) cases being at ridiculous heights these days, I DEFINITELY would.  I’d be furious if I bought a ‘62 Esquire that was advertised as having the OHSC and it showed up in a reissue tweed case.  Not at all the same thing, and not acceptable.  If it was a ‘66 Jaguar and just said “Black HSC”, I’d be happy if it showed up in a brand new G&G case, but that letter “O” in the description has value and meaning.

Thanks, Chris. PM’ed you. 

Reverb store promptly refunded me a fair amount of bux (including CA sales tax) first thing this morning. What a mensch!

I am currently awaiting the homeward return of an HFCer so’s I can begin case-shopping. 

35 minutes ago, RobB said:

A, “mensch”, does not a, “schmeckle”, make, ya goy!

And now I'm getting verklempt. I'll give you a topic:  Early Roman architecture:  it's neither early nor Roman. Discuss...

On 10/31/2022 at 5:58 PM, Biz Prof said:

And now I'm getting verklempt. I'll give you a topic:  Early Roman architecture:  it's neither early nor Roman. Discuss...

I would bet it has something to do with Rock, and Rolling Stones over Beatles to build Doors!

• RobB changed the title to Say You Buy a Vintage Guitar on REVERB…UPDATE: PIC!
1 hour ago, topekatj said:

Nice — Looks like a time capsule condition guitar! ‘79? How’s the neck feeling?

On the thinner side of medium. A bit wider with more shoulder than a Gibson 60s slim-carve. Flatter frets than I’m used to, and I have no plans to replace them. 

As far as the year? After conferring with a Hamer expert, he seemed to conclude that it may be a, “Monday guitar.”  The first two digits may be reversed, making it an ‘84. That makes sense, since Hamer’s production numbers were  nowhere near 5000 guitars in ‘79. Additionally, the shape of the numbers match ‘84 serials, especially the, “9’s.” I wonder if anyone out there in Hamer-land can solve the mystery?

Archived