Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Great songs that are propelled by a "Bo Diddley beat"

...or some reasonable facsimile of that tempo and style.

If the choice was limited to just one, I'd go with Dire Strats' "Calling Elvis". The primary reason is on accounta the original (on On Every Street) and live versions (On The Night) were excellent, but Knopfler did an alternate version to open his solo concerts in 2000 when he was touring to support a new album, the terrific Sailing to Philadelphia. The revised version was slightly slower, which made them pounding drums sound even more potent and...well, urgent, I guess. If you went to one of those shows 22 years ago, you'll know what I mean.

Others?

“How Soon Is Now”.  Johnny Marr based the main riff around the Hamilton Bohannon “Disco Stomp” that was directly lifted from…you got it…Bo Diddley.

I always thought Bow Wow Wow's rendition of "I Want Candy" was a nifty arrangement sonically, particularly with the drums and a grinding bass tone (Leigh Gorman whomping a Wal). Uh, but there was also that "jailbait-on-the-beach" video...

On 11/1/2022 at 12:05 AM, cmatthes said:

“How Soon Is Now”.  Johnny Marr based the main riff around the Hamilton Bohannon “Disco Stomp” that was directly lifted from…you got it…Bo Diddley.

When the slide part hits so hard that you have to be the only guy in the band in shades to play it. 

• 1 month later...

Archived