Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Music Docs

RobB

All viewed recently on Prime:

Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked the World. 

Excellent. Made me look at rock/pop from a different standpoint. Recommended. 

Bad Company. 

Meh. Glossed over Kossof/Free (for the most part). Didn’t really get in depth with anyone, and the non-Rodgers version was mentioned in passing. This could have been really interesting, but kinda fell flat. Like a high-budget, “VH1: Behind the Music.”

Mean Man: Chris Holmes  

Who’s claiming this guy is a, “legend?” He comes across as a dickhole who’s biggest talent was being a fuckup. Seems to me his biggest contribution to music was loaning his Ibanez Destroyer to EVH.

Hired Guns.

Very enjoyable, though not much info I hadn’t already read in guitar mags. Alice Cooper came off as a bit of prat…whatever he’s Alice Cooper. Worth it for Jay Graydon playing, “Josie.”

The "Wrecking Crew" documentary,  I'm like, I've heard of them but who is that?   

It blew me away.     

The skynyrd one (either netflix or prime) was pretty good.   

The Joan Jett one... cool but kind of long.     

There is this one show,  forget the name,  it's basically one hour or so about basically

looking at how a hit song was written, recorded etc...      one of them was "losing my religion"

and REM were talking about the tune, how it came together,   almost like the lyrics were chanelled

thru them...  stipe was pretty much humbled and blown away by how that tune changed their lives...     

I love the part of music doc's that gets into like what's happening in a room when great music is

created....    

The XTC one, “This Is Pop” is top notch.  

Also, “About The Young Idea”, the documentary about The Jam, was really well done.

On 11/2/2022 at 4:12 PM, RobB said:

Mean Man: Chris Holmes  Who’s claiming this guy is a, “legend?” 

Hired Guns. Very enjoyable, though not much info I hadn’t already read in guitar mags. 

I concur w/ these.

Who is Harry Nilsson? - Interesting. I forgot how many great tunes he has.
NWA & Eazy-E: Kings of Compton - Good, but not as entertaining as Straight Outta Compton(not a doc, I know).
Can't Stand Losing You: Surviving The Police - Movie version of Andy Summers excellent book, albeit shortened (so it's not 5 hours long).
Gimme Danger (the Stooges) - Not a fan but I enjoyed this.
Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago - Preety entertaining (as was the one about Terry Kath). These guys were wilder than I would've imagined.
The Doors - When You're Strange - Ok.
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin Down a Dream - Excellent history w/ lots of rare footage.
CBGB - Not a doc but a drama based on punk rock ground zero.
Randy Rhoads: Reflections of a Guitar Icon - Kinda low budget, but a must for fans.
Anvil! The Story of Anvil - Sad yet fun. 
Sound City - Very interesting history of this famous studio and the LA record business.
The Who - Sensation The Story Of Tommy - I guess you had to be there? It was a hit, but this movie comes off like Tommy was the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.
Roadie: My Documentary - C minus. A few highlights but not great.
Brian Jones - Rolling Stone: Life and Death of Brian Jones (see Roadie review).
It Might Get Loud - I might get bored. Wanted to fast forward to all the Page parts, ha.
Sunset Strip - Thought it would have more about the 80s rock scene, but this is the entire history from the 20s forward. Interesting.
20 Feet From Stardom - Doc about backup singers, same vibe a s Hired Gun.
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (Classic Album) - I like all the classic album series, even the ones about bands I don't like.
Murder In The Front Row: The San Francisco Bay Area Thrash Metal Story - This was pretty good, although mostly still photos from the book of the same name. 
Inside Metal: Pioneers Of L.A. Hard Rock And Metal - Besides the obvious (VH, Quiet Riot), it talks about bands that didn't make it big, like Stormer, Steeler, etc.
Heavy Metal Parking Lot - My youth in 20 minutes. Hillarious.

Anyone catch the doc on Arthur Kane of the NY Dolls a few years back ? I was glued to it. The Dolls were a powerhouse on stage and off stage they took the rock lifestyle to excessive heights. Considering this was in the 70’s that’s saying a lot. After they burned out or rather flamed out, life went in another direction for Arthur. Seeing him in his latter days one would never had guess he was a Doll. And not just in appearance. I thought it was fascinating. And touching. A word you wouldn’t associate with the NY Dolls. 

On 11/2/2022 at 3:12 PM, RobB said:

All viewed recently on Prime:

Excellent. Made me look at rock/pop from a different standpoint. Recommended. 

I saw this one a few years ago, and I sought out some music after seeing it: anything I could find by Link Wray and anything I could find by Jesse Ed Davis.  My library had a copy of Red Dirt Boogie - The Atco Recordings 1970-1972 by Jesse Ed Davis.  He was sought out by so many artisits in the late 60s and early 70s as a session guy and as a touring band member as well.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:27 PM, DaveL said:

The "Wrecking Crew" documentary,  I'm like, I've heard of them but who is that?   

It blew me away.     

Have you seen this? Just as great.

Archived