Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Strandberg Now Has A Reverb Shop

I have a Classic model with the trem, and it sounds a lot better to me after swapping the aluminum trem block(1 ounce) to a brass block (3 or 4 ounces). Got the action down to .030 at the highest frets on all strings and it's playing faster than I can play lol. Someday I'd like to get a hard tail strandberg to see if that has a little more thump to the notes.

• 1 month later...

Great guitars, though Ola must be able to buy a lotta herring and salty licorice with those profit margins. You cannot convince me that a Strandburg made in an Indonesian factory should go for $1700 and up when a G&L Tribute comes out of Indonesia with better quality control at about $600.

Maybe they're expensive, but you can't get the neck and the other unique design elements any other way.  G&L may be good, but I have a B-stock Strandberg that I can't find fault with, so I wouldn't call them "better."  I'm happy to pay the difference for the weird neck shape, fan frets, body shape, etc.

13 hours ago, polara said:

Great guitars, though Ola must be able to buy a lotta herring and salty licorice with those profit margins. You cannot convince me that a Strandburg made in an Indonesian factory should go for $1700 and up when a G&L Tribute comes out of Indonesia with better quality control at about $600.

If they are paying their Indonesian workers on the scale of 1st world manufacturing for quality work  and a fair working wage I would get the price.  I doubt it though, especially considering all the flaws in the brand new one I had in hand a week ago.  Prices are more likely in line with the fact that they were bought out by a private equity fund (last year I think) seeking maximum profit from a newer guitar owning demographic who will pay what they’re asking thinking it’s the only option to get these features without paying double the price. 

11 hours ago, fractal said:

Maybe they're expensive, but you can't get the neck and the other unique design elements any other way.  G&L may be good, but I have a B-stock Strandberg that I can't find fault with, so I wouldn't call them "better."  I'm happy to pay the difference for the weird neck shape, fan frets, body shape, etc.

Sounds like you got a good one. The ones I’ve tried were fine, but even on the Strandberg group on Facebook there’s an understanding that the build quality is inconsistent. I have a 2020 that I got used and it’s beaten up enough that finish flaws are not an issue. I love the neck, the sound, the weight. But when you can get a new Les Paul with a solid flame maple top, perfect finish, hard case, built at US labor costs… or a Strandberg NX made at Indonesian labor rates in a gig bag at the same cost… well. I think Kissel and Ibanez and a bunch of Chinese knock-offs are becoming real competition, and I’m intrigued by Valravn, out of Ukraine. My Strandberg with Suhr pickups was $1000 so it was an easy decision. I’ll be curious to see if they’ll continue to do well around their one parented feature, the (wonderful) neck shape. 

Archived