Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: '87 Chaparral, White, $1550- Austin CL (N/A)

9 hours ago, scottcald said:

I had one of those Kahlers I put on a partcaster in the 80s.  Worked well.  

Is that original to that Hamer though?  

Hamer did use those Kahler fulcrum units for a brief time, yes.

25 minutes ago, scottcald said:

New info all the time!  I only ever saw them on a few Charvels (I think some of the MIJ ones). 

Both Hamer and Jackson/Charvel were somewhat limited in vibrato options during that brief era in which Kramer had both distribution rights and a sense of protective paranoia for the OFR. Based on everything I've read over the years, Kramer was initially selling OFRs to individual consumers as well as other manufacturers, but began hoarding them for internal production when sales of their own brand peaked. Builders like Jackson and Hamer had to find other sources for that period of time and Kahler, of course, was ready with an alternative.

By the end of the '80s. Kramer began to stumble financially and Floyd had already begun executing licensing agreements with several other brands. This is around the time (mid-1987) Jackson began using their pot metal licensed Floyd (JT-6). From 1986 until mid '87, Jackson used the Kahler fulcrum unit on their Model imports. 

A bit later, Hamer, Washburn, and a slew of other makers began using their custom branded variants of the Schaller 370. 

Hey @Biz Prof, nice history lesson on the OFR, I reckon then that this may be an early Chaparral? I don't believe I've seen a white one before, and it doesn't appear to be a pearl white.

And credit to @RobB for rememebering the Rockinger. Weren't some pre-OFR Kramers shipped with the Rockinger?

Rockinger – VintageFloydRose.comPurple-Pacer.jpg

Now, let's discuss the rhythm pickup on the subject Chaparral. Wut? Also, it appears the guitar had different knobs installed during this shot.

00V0V_dBNXM8dlqAmz_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

Yeah, it's not the very earliest of Chaps (the earliest in '86 would have had either Kahler Pro or an OFR), but it is before the transition to bolt necks. 

Rockingers were bulky and wonky--nothing more than a stop-gap. There's a reason everyone gravitated to either the OFR or Kahler.

I think the German guys in the above print ad are Dieter Dirks and Michael Wagener. I’ve never seen ANY interviews where they promoted the Rockinger brand, but being from Hannover (Scorpions) gave me the idea that they may be associated. I’m probably mistaken. 

Archived