Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Advice on small (budget) home bass rigg

Disturber

I would like to mess around with my bass at home. But I don't want to spend a lot of money on an amp. It's just for practise and noodling around.

So, do you have any advice on how to get a good home bass sound with a very limited budget? It does not have to play loud at all. But bonus if I could use it as a pre-amp for recording with the DAW.

No metal tones. Think groovy bass sounds.

If you have a mic preamp already, run your  bass direct into that and then to your daw. You can then monitor however you want.

Or use an OD pedal as a preamp….just tweak the knobs for a good sound direct into the daw….many, many bass tracks were recorded straight in with no amp.

Also check out Soundtoys plugins…they are giving away their Little Radiator preamp for free today. I use it often and even if you don’t use a dedicated analog mic pre, just run into your daw and use Little Radiator as your pre. It’s based on an old Altec pre that was used at Motown…so there is your grooving bass tone!

The small fender bass combos have a nice bass sound.  Hartke makes some nice small bass combo amps that sound a bit deeper/ fuller to me.  Just depends on the sound you are looking for.

I love my hartke 75 but I wouldn’t consider it a small amp. They make a 15 watt version.  Sounds good.

The tech 21 bass fly rig is pretty fun, plug that (or similar) into a small keyboard amp like a Roland KB, - keyboard amps are passable as bass amps by themselves btw.  Speaking of preamps: I also won't be selling my tech 21 bass driver di anytime soon, those are cool. 

I still like my Roland/Bass Cube 30 bass for around the house, I think I paid $80 for that, and originally bought it to use with Roland drums, I also like that it has a compressor.  The small Ampegs can be good too, and I think some of those have tilt back cabinets. 

Either direct into DAW and equalize in there or a little acoustic amp with a line out would do. My son keeps playing the bass this way at home. He‘s a bass player.

On 11/11/2022 at 4:05 PM, Jakeboy said:

If you have a mic preamp already, run your  bass direct into that and then to your daw. You can then monitor however you want.

Or use an OD pedal as a preamp….just tweak the knobs for a good sound direct into the daw….many, many bass tracks were recorded straight in with no amp.

Also check out Soundtoys plugins…they are giving away their Little Radiator preamp for free today. I use it often and even if you don’t use a dedicated analog mic pre, just run into your daw and use Little Radiator as your pre. It’s based on an old Altec pre that was used at Motown…so there is your grooving bass tone!

I downloaded Little Radiator - thanks! I'm getting an awesome bass sound through my DAW with the Little Radiator and a little touch of the Steinberg DaTube plug in. KILLER! Just what I was looking for. Didn't cost me a cent, and I could play with this sound forever!!

3 hours ago, Disturber said:

I downloaded Little Radiator - thanks! I'm getting an awesome bass sound through my DAW with the Little Radiator and a little touch of the Steinberg DaTube plug in. KILLER! Just what I was looking for. Didn't cost me a cent, and I could play with this sound forever!!

Perfect. Great sounds in that plug.

Archived