Hamer Fan Club Message Center

GATI

mathman

The pandemic put a damper on the Great American teach-In but it happened again today.  I took my new to me Blitz Bass and the Prototype II with my new Orange Crush amp and did the same ol' favorites I always do.

Back in Black

We will rock you

Island in the sun

Santa Monica

Smells like Teen Spirit.

Dropped some of the songs I rotate this time.  Kept it simple.  I took no pictures or video this time. I just played and had fun.  Honestly, I was thinking this group of kids wouldn't be as interested but they loved it.  Quite a few knew the songs.  I still got the requests for Metallica  and other  bands.  First time I got a free bird request.  Felt like I have made it with that one!!! 😬😃.

Actually had a kid say it was the best thing ever.  These 6th graders HAVE missed out on a lot!  ha!

Anyway Great day and I am proud to have been doing this for over 20 years.  Spreading the Rock Guitar Vibe.

• Like 7

You got a request for Freebird?  Was it a student or a faculty member who did that?

Todd Snider tells a funny story about getting a request for Freebird.  He closed his show with it when I saw him.  He did his own version of the song, not a Skynyrd tribute.  It turns things around on the person making the request.  Does someone want to be cute?  Do they want to hear the song, and is it the song or the arrangement they want to hear?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

You got a request for Freebird?  Was it a student or a faculty member who did that?

Todd Snider tells a funny story about getting a request for Freebird.  He closed his show with it when I saw him.  He did his own version of the song, not a Skynyrd tribute.  It turns things around on the person making the request.  Does someone want to be cute?  Do they want to hear the song, and is it the song or the arrangement they want to hear?  

The most fun I ever had playing Freebird was when I was in a trio.  It wasn't nearly as long, and the bassist and I traded off solos.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mathman said:

The pandemic put a damper on the Great American teach-In but it happened again today.  I took my new to me Blitz Bass and the Prototype II with my new Orange Crush amp and did the same ol' favorites I always do.

Back in Black

We will rock you

Island in the sun

Santa Monica

Smells like Teen Spirit.

Dropped some of the songs I rotate this time.  Kept it simple.  I took no pictures or video this time. I just played and had fun.  Honestly, I was thinking this group of kids wouldn't be as interested but they loved it.  Quite a few knew the songs.  I still got the requests for Metallica  and other  bands.  First time I got a free bird request.  Felt like I have made it with that one!!! 😬😃.

Actually had a kid say it was the best thing ever.  These 6th graders HAVE missed out on a lot!  ha!

Anyway Great day and I am proud to have been doing this for over 20 years.  Spreading the Rock Guitar Vibe.

Love that setlist!

Edit: ....although you probably meant Weezer when I assumed this 

Edited by bry4321

16 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Student.  

That's great!

And Freebird has to be the most boring thing on earth to have to solo over for five minutes. We got a request once for it, and I said, "All you want to do is sing the 'Lord I can't change.  Won't you fly high freebird, yeah' part, here me do that first lick in the solo, and then see if I can play those two or three faster licks along with the fast part in the breakdown. So that's what we're going to do."

And that's exactly what I did - I think we spent all of 90 seconds on that, and I was right. That's all anyone actually wanted, lol. 

• Like 1

That’s awesome man!

After playing in bars and clubs for years, when someone tries to get cute yelling out “Freebird!” in between songs, I like to say, “Hey! The Freebird guy made it. Right On!” Pause for laughter, and then add, “He comes to every one of my shows...” 😆

You're doin a good thing out there. Keep On Rockin in the Free World 🤘😎

Great work @mathman. I was at a jam 10 years ago and we got a ‘bird request. Back in the 70s it was commonly played…so I thought why not as I know the Rossington slide parts.  It went over crazy good. And I was the only guitarist onstage..,playing a SSS Strat no less….and I had to recreate the Collins flash solo at the end, but truncated. That was the last time I played it live. It was fun.

• Like 1

Reverend Billy C. Wirtz did a song about getting requests for Freebird.

The best in-person experience I had with it was at an Opeth show.  Somebody yelled out for the song, and Mikael Akkerfeldt said, "What?  'Freebird'?  What's 'Freebird'?"  It got a few chuckles, and he said to the guy, "Seriously, man, why did you yell 'Freebird'?"  And people turned en masse to look at the guy who yelled, who suddenly started stammering and trying to explain what it was, and after about 45 seconds, Mikael said, "Dude, I know what 'Freebird' is.  We're Swedish, not stupid.  But wouldn't you just shit if we played it now?"

• Haha 3

Love the stories but I just want to reiterate.   This was an 11 year old girl who did this request…. 
not to divulge too much information but her demographic is not the typical southern rock aficionado.  May be completely misinterpreted but I love the spunk and depth of knowledge to make that request.  
my lame but truthful response… I am not into southern rock.

• Like 3