Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Looking for a an inexpensive Standard, $1800 USD max…

On 11/16/2022 at 10:03 PM, HamerCustomEr said:

Hi everybody,

I am not looking for a 4-digit, or a “bound and crowned”, just any old Hamer Standard in decent shape.

Korean or Indonesian Import okay.  Truth be told, I bought an import Vector as a placeholder to stop me from shelling out thousands and thousands for the real thing, and this is exactly the same situation.

Please let me know what you have and your asking price.  I would rather avoid the XT models, thank you.

If you can give me a deal on a USA mahogany version from the 1990s or later, I would prefer that over an import, obviously, but my max budget is only $1800 USD plus shipping, and maybe you would rather try to find an insane buyer on Reverb.

I live in Canada, but I have had really good experiences with USPS shipping from the States to Canada.  No FedEx or UPS, please.

Thanks,

HamerCustomEr

Not affiliated. 

This one says it is XT but it is not on headstock. All the XT's I've seen has XT on the logo. Appears to have a nice headstock carve not an oversized one like most. Closer to banana or hockey stick. You can see the high E string outside the headstock. Most Asian build headstocks covers the high E string. Made in Indonesia so probably not XT. Those seem to come from China.

$699 + $150 + import fees. FedEx doesn't seem to collect them nor post. Plus there is a make an offer. Maybe start at $500.

https://reverb.com/item/63476600-hamer-xt-series-explorer-2011-w-hardshell-case

I would buy it for a project for myself but have interests else where.

Just an idea. Let me know what you think.

Put Schaller tuners, SD pickups or your choice and your ready to rock.

HRex

21 hours ago, Ham Rex said:

Not affiliated. 

This one says it is XT but it is not on headstock. All the XT's I've seen has XT on the logo. Appears to have a nice headstock carve not an oversized one like most. Closer to banana or hockey stick. You can see the high E string outside the headstock. Most Asian build headstocks covers the high E string. Made in Indonesia so probably not XT. Those seem to come from China.

$699 + $150 + import fees. FedEx doesn't seem to collect them nor post. Plus there is a make an offer. Maybe start at $500.

HRex

Thanks, that one does look interesting.

21 hours ago, Ham Rex said:

Not affiliated. 

HRex

Odds are, if there's one in Poland, then there's probably another one somewhere much closer to you.  I'd recommend to continue looking.

2 hours ago, MJD said:

Is that a 1997 or a 2007? When did they start the imports?

It must be a 1997 as this is a MIK. A 2007 would be Indonesian made. Very nice guitar that is. The price could be lower, however.

It is neither a 1997 nor a 2007.

It's a Korean-built Standard, which means somewhere between 1999-2003.

The import serial numbers are meaningless when it comes to dating the instrument - the USA scheme of dating by the first digit does not apply.

Those were not being made in 1997.

5 hours ago, cmatthes said:

The import serial numbers are meaningless when it comes to dating the instrument - the USA scheme of dating by the first digit does not apply.

Were the MIK sunbursts from the same time period also, 99-03?

9 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Wow, thanks!  I will see if he will ship to Canada.

I asked a couple questions about it last week and found him pretty responsive, hopefully he will ship to Canada.. I've had good luck on reverb making an offer, usually end up meeting in the middle somewhere

7 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Most of the Indonesian Hamers that I've seen, including the 2 that I own, start the serial number with the 2 digit year code, i.e. my 2011 starts with "11" and my 2015 starts with "15".  Most of my other Indonesian guitars follow a similar serial number scheme. I have seen some Indonesian Hamers with a shorter serial number that doesn't follow this scheme though.  My guess is that production moved from one manufacture to another (but still within Indonesia) for some period.

34 minutes ago, Jim85IROC said:

Most of the Indonesian Hamers that I've seen, including the 2 that I own, start the serial number with the 2 digit year code, i.e. my 2011 starts with "11" and my 2017 starts with "17".  Most of my other Indonesian guitars follow a similar serial number scheme. I have seen some Indonesian Hamers with a shorter serial number that doesn't follow this scheme though.  My guess is that production moved from one manufacture to another (but still within Indonesia) for some period.

Are there post-2010 Hamers from Indonesia?  I thought they had moved almost everything to Chinese production by then.

As far as anything post-2014, I have zero interest in those, since that’s whatever company slaps the name on an import guitar and has little to nothing to do with Hamer in my opinion!

7 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Are there post-2010 Hamers from Indonesia?  I thought they had moved almost everything to Chinese production by then.

As far as anything post-2014, I have zero interest in those, since that’s whatever company slaps the name on an import guitar and has little to nothing to do with Hamer in my opinion!

The rebooted Hamer brand guitars are all made in Indonesia.  Curiosity got the best of me and I ended up putting a steal bid in on a used Monaco and won it.  I bought it to flip, and as is often the case, it turned out to be such a great guitar that I can't get rid of it.  Aside from some minor fret sprout, it came beautifully set up and rings like a bell.  Getting up in the 9th-13th fret area, it has that bell-like resonance like you'd expect from a Strat with a floating trem.  The top is stunning, it's not too heavy, and it's just a blast to play.  Aside from the expectedly medocre pickups, I can't find anything to complain about.  It's every bit as good as my 2011 SATF, and honestly, aside from the quality of the electronics, doesn't really fall short of my Studio Custom in any way.  I've got a couple US Hamers that will end up making a departure soon, but this Monaco isn't going anywhere.

It's not as "clown bursty" in person as it looks in the pics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived