Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Early Sunburst Pickups

Hey Folks,

My ‘79 Sunburst has a Super Distortion installed in the bridge position. I like the sound of that pickup but I’d like to try a DiMarzio of the type more usually installed in 1979 (or if that’s not possible, during the first run of Sunbursts). Do any HFCers know where I might find one?

Also, did the bridge and neck pickups of that era typically differ in output or other characteristics?

Thanks for your responses. 

Hamer used regular DiMarzio PAFs back then.   You can track down an older one and likely pay through the nose, but the newer versions are still pretty close.  Josh Gravelin also makes a pretty dead-on wind as a replacement as well if you wanted to try that route.

17 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Hamer used regular DiMarzio PAFs back then.   You can track down an older one and likely pay through the nose, but the newer versions are still pretty close.  Josh Gravelin also makes a pretty dead-on wind as a replacement as well if you wanted to try that route.

Thanks, Chris. Were their also some DiMarzio’s that were “specially wound” for Sunburst production?

39 minutes ago, Slade Moore said:

Thanks, Chris. Were their also some DiMarzio’s that were “specially wound” for Sunburst production?

The “Slammer” pickups that Hamer used in the ‘80s on their main line guitars (Specials, Vectors, Blitz, etc.) were hotter wound to spec DiMarzios.

On 11/18/2022 at 7:10 PM, Joe G said:

Great price on a  great pickup.  This is a second Gen PAFwith triangular feet. The 10k Slammers came after this IIRC.

Archived