Hamer Fan Club Message Center

details on Centaura?

Cboss

Question

I just picked this up from GC - it is being shipped to my local store. 

Would this be a 1990?  I'm unfamiliar with Centaura's, could the experts chime in with any details/specs about this model?  What pickups assuming it is stock..what is the switch for (the other one, not the 5 way)...likes and dislikes of this model?

Thanks so much :)

Chris

SN_cr.jpg

my Centaura.jpg

9 answers to this question

Yes, it's a 1990.  Stock pickups are a JB in the bridge and SSL-1s in the neck and middle positions.  The mini "thick" switch introduces a cap into the circuit that acts as a frequency "boost" to fatten up the tone/lean out the tone, depending on its setting.  Many longtime Centaura aficionados convert those to bridge pickup coil taps.

Pros:  small, dinky body, wide/flat neck, excellent fit and finish, nice balance, weight, and looks.

Cons:  wide/flat neck (for some),  mismatched output of OEM humbucker/single coils, somewhat smaller than '80s-era jumbo frets.

• Like 4

I’m a big Centaura fan - and of the few/lots I’ve had for the one 90s ones I’ve left the SSL-1s in place with the JB - I find the contrast between outputs useful. The SSL-1s are nicely stratish and with a little dip of the tone knob the neck unit can fatten up nicely for dirtier lead sounds. 

You can always knock the volume down a little bit on the JB to tame it.

Otherwise on HSS Centauras I like Parallel Axis sets and EMGs (85 or 89 and a pair of SAs.

I love this model! Congrats!

… and if you decide you don’t like it - let me know!

Edited by Bennyboy-UK
  • Like 2

I defer to Ben on most-things-Centaura, but we diverge on the SSL-1/JB issue.  In my Cent, I currently have a SD Screamin Demon in the bridge (which, coincidentally has a much lower output than a JB), an ancient SD 1NQ in the middle (this was the '80s precursor to the now-ubiquitous STK-S4, and a SD Lil Screamin Demon in the neck. Outputs are much better matched, although I'll likely switch out the 1NQ with higher-wind true single coil unit to add more pop to the in-between positions. 

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Like 1

give the stock pickup a chance, it often fits into the mix better than it sounds by itself. 

I understand Steve Stevens had quite a bit of input on the design (SS-0.1?) , including requesting a one piece neck as I recall?  I have one in black sparkle (all stock), those sparkle finishes get a lot of aging cracks.  I almost got a red one about 25 years ago, I had to choose between a red sparkle Centaura and a red Cali Standard for the same (stupid cheap) sale price, and bought the Cali. I found my Centaura in a Pawn shop probably 20 years ago. A good friend has one in the granite finish, his is stock too. 

Will do, definitely going to play it for a while before any changes 

Nice! Mine is red sparkle, was poking around looking for something else and came across that at a Guitar Center in Florida for a really cheap price, so my hamer USA family continues to grow :)

Screenshot_20221120-175820_Gallery.jpg

• Like 7