Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Special pickup swap

rugby1970

Question

19 answers to this question

7 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

Is it possible to replace P-90's on a Special with traditional humbuckers without greatly modifying the guitar? Thanks.

It's a mucho different rout. Try a set of Mojotone '56 Quiet Coil pickups instead. Thank me later.

^ This. I've twice put Dimarzio DLX Plus duets in mahogany set-necks and was VERY pleased with the results. Zero alterations or mods to make it happen. Here's one of them, an intensive 70s Deluxe restoration me and HEL Shannon did.

18740687_1696619050640272_55202042481821

On 11/24/2022 at 9:39 AM, Jeff R said:

^ This. I've twice put Dimarzio DLX Plus duets in mahogany set-necks and was VERY pleased with the results. Zero alterations or mods to make it happen. Here's one of them, an intensive 70s Deluxe restoration me and HEL Shannon did.

18740687_1696619050640272_55202042481821

I like that these basically keep the look too. 

On 11/25/2022 at 12:11 PM, hamerhead said:

You could do this:

100_9222small.jpg

I have been considering doing this with my Hamer Artist with P90s, but I thought everybody would try to stop me because it is the 3 P90 model, and I think it is a rare bird.  I figured that I could scratch my mini-hum itch with an Eclipse.  

Anyway, what brand of mini-humbucker do you recommend?

That was my gigging guitar for quite a while. I went thru a ton of pickups (those pictured are Gibsons IIRC but I tried Dimarzios, Duncans, etc), eventually landing on GFS minis that not only sounded great but are cheapcheapcheap.

3 P90 Artist? I'd put a set of Josh's Firebird pickups in there and never look back.

On 12/3/2022 at 2:40 PM, hamerhead said:

That was my gigging guitar for quite a while. I went thru a ton of pickups (those pictured are Gibsons IIRC but I tried Dimarzios, Duncans, etc), eventually landing on GFS minis that not only sounded great but are cheapcheapcheap.

3 P90 Artist? I'd put a set of Josh's Firebird pickups in there and never look back.

I had some GFS noiseless singles in a partcaster and they sounded great.  The bridge/middle really evoked the Knopfler thing quite well. 

eventually landing on GFS minis that not only sounded great but are cheapcheapcheap.

Hey, Hamerhead:  Out of curiosity, which flavor of GFS minis did you install--'59, Fat, or Crunchy?

+1 on the GFS Minis ... I have several sets and they are def. my favorite minis that I've ever used ...

Archived