Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Reverb JCM800 $1200

I would have hit the BIN, but I’m treading on some really thin ice here on the home front. The 50JCM800 is one of my dream amps, a friend and killer guitarist from when I was in high school had one. He loaned it too me while my Laney was in the shop. Not super gainy, just the right amount with great tight bottom end. 

My Dr Z SRZ65 is a Handwired JCM800, and after I sent it to DR Z for some TLC (Complete Rebuild) it sounds amazing. Nails all those classic Blackberry Smoke tone from when Charley was using a JCM800. 

About 15-20 years ago, the local pawn shop chain listed their inventory online, and there was often stuff online but still in the back room that they would find and bring out when asked (which made hunting really fun). One store showed that they had a jcm800, but it had no price. I tried to get them to show it to me and price it for several months, but they were always too busy. A friend who shopped there a lot and sort of knew the mgr finally got them to drag it out for me. It was a 2 vertical input JCM800 2204 head, in good condition. $100. I did my best to look bored, and said, "um, yeah, that's ok".  I grinned all the way home, that was a killer amp.  A couple of years later I found an earlier 2204 head for a couple hundred more, it needed just a little work, ended up sounding a little better to me than the jcm800 and a friend finally talked me out the jcm800. I still have the other one, I think it's a '77.  It's currently loaded with all vintage mullards.  I actually found another one too, a '70s 50w mkii 2x12 combo: I stopped in just after they had put it out on the floor (again, somewhere around 15-20 years ago, $185 for that one iirc) that thing was SO bright sounding, but it was great with the treble all the way down. Another friend talked me out of that one, he gifted it to his friend who did a lot of recording for him, I saw it used at GC a few months later having been traded in, tagged at $1600ish.  No one is going to talk me out of the one I still have anytime soon. 

Archived