Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Capacitorgate at TGP Fake PIO scam revealed!

BadgerDave

Link to TGP Thread

Not sure if the link will work if you're not a member at The Gear Page. You can find the thread by searching "With genuine paper in oil capacitors" in the Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion sub-forum.

Interesting.  Apparently a company that sells prewired pickguards and parts has been intentionally mis-labelling cheap caps and selling them as boutique PIOs.

Hello $hit.  Meet fan.

Seems like I read years ago Gibson did this with the "Bumble Bee" caps. Not much has changed. A fool and his money are soon parted, or There's one born every minute.

There is a lot of speculation and debate over the audible differences between different types of capacitors in guitar circuits.  The majority opinion seems to be that values matter and type of construction doesn't. 

The issue with 920D's behavior is that the PIO caps sell for $28.00 and the Mojo dijon caps sell for $1.50.  They wrapped the $1.50 cap in a PIO cover and charged the PIO price.

My default values are .022 for a master and/or a neck position pickup tone, .015 for a bridge position tone. Guitars and basses alike.

As for the type, I use yeller ones when cavity space is not a factor and urnge ones when cavity space is a factor.

1 hour ago, BadgerDave said:

There is a lot of speculation and debate over the audible differences between different types of capacitors in guitar circuits.  The majority opinion seems to be that values matter and type of construction doesn't. 

The issue with 920D's behavior is that the PIO caps sell for $28.00 and the Mojo dijon caps sell for $1.50.  They wrapped the $1.50 cap in a PIO cover and charged the PIO price.

Nobody should ever have to spend $28.00 on a guitar cavity capacitor.

Polypropylene,  Styrene, & Mylar type are some good choices for caps, just not Ceramic or Mica.  And the uF. value is important, but not the operating temperature.

Read the whole thread, up to 9 pages now (my eyeballs are burning). The owner chimed in when he found out on 11/23/22 and blamed the manager. C'mon, like he didn't know what was going on. What, like you don't check financial records, stock purchases or reports from suppliers about back orders?  Kind of silly to run a business without putting your hands in it.  Well, there's always a Fall Guy when something hits the fan, been there.   

1 minute ago, HSB0531 said:

Nobody should ever have to spend $28.00 on a guitar cavity capacitor.

No one does have to. Some people want to, and that's fine if they feel the need to.

The problem with this one was putting the wrapper for the $28 one over the $1.50 cap and fraudulently misrepresenting what it was. That's sleazy, scummy, and illegal.

2 minutes ago, Tortious said:

No one does have to. Some people want to, and that's fine if they feel the need to.

The problem with this one was putting the wrapper for the $28 one over the $1.50 cap and fraudulently misrepresenting what it was. That's sleazy, scummy, and illegal.

Oh Yeah, I agree with you 1000%.  I get Really pissed when I see that sort of thing.  While everyone has the right to overspend on a legitimate product, no one has the right to switch and bate to scam them.

8 minutes ago, cynic said:

🥱

This.  It's immoral and probably illegal, but I have no sympathy for these tone chasing, trussrod changing, wannabe bluesman annoying diners at the Buffalo Wild Wings just trying to watch the game assholes.  

18 hours ago, cynic said:

🥱

I don't understand. 😕

Never mind.  The yawny face was showing on my screen as a plain rectangle.  I thought it might be some sort of inner circle code.

I wasn't in a position to read the GP thread before I previously posted on this thread. I still think Mojotone caps are great cap but selling them as something they are not is fraudulent! Illegal? I don't know, but having had an account with Mojotone for as long as I can remember and had nothing but first rate product and customer service makes me think there may have been a change in management. For those who got screwed I hope you get your money back. For the Tech's that have been involuntarily involved in this scam I am at a loss. You represented what you where told and charged accordingly.  

So my final on this is. : SHAME SHAME SHAME!!!! 

When I started playing, after I first changed pickups, I'd ask friends to look into their guitars to see how they were wired.  I saw almost nothing but tan ceramic caps in there and a few that were green (mylar?).  Never saw this fancy stuff, but none of us had fancy guitars at that point.  

Fortunately, no audience members at gigs came up angry that the tone would be better if only we'd used more expensive caps.  

8 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I wasn't in a position to read the GP thread before I previously posted on this thread. I still think Mojotone caps are great cap but selling them as something they are not is fraudulent! Illegal? I don't know, but having had an account with Mojotone for as long as I can remember and had nothing but first rate product and customer service makes me think there may have been a change in management.

Read it again. Mojotone had nothing to do with defrauding anyone. The pre-wired rig sellers are the ones that put the phony labels on the caps, not Mojo. 

On 11/27/2022 at 8:31 PM, kizanski said:

This.  It's immoral and probably illegal, but I have no sympathy for these tone chasing, trussrod changing, wannabe bluesman annoying diners at the Buffalo Wild Wings just trying to watch the game assholes.  

Wait a minute!....you mean to tell me if I change my truss rod it will solve all my tone problems??

WOW!!!!!

Really???

😲🤡

Just now, HSB0531 said:

Wait a minute!....you mean to tell me if I change my truss rod it will solve all my tone problems??

You don't have to do it.  There are dozens of R9s on TGP going for twice what a new one costs because some dumbass made a number of these "improvements."

3 minutes ago, kizanski said:

You don't have to do it.  There are dozens of R9s on TGP going for twice what a new one costs because some dumbass made a number of these "improvements."

That was just my New York sarcasm...I'm not really going to do it 😁

5 hours ago, Jim85IROC said:

$28 PIO caps. 😜  All of my guitars use cheap green chicklets that I buy in bags of 50.

You either must have plenty of guitars or have a garage full of bags with 49 green chicklets.

Now you know what to do with them bags. B)

Archived