Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson Custom vs Gibson USA

LucSulla

19 hours ago, RobB said:

How do you like the ‘57 Classics? They’re stock in my ‘15 V and I find them a bit dark-sounding. 

Same. I also noticed playing the other night that they are, for whatever reason, quieter than the Burstbuckers, even though they shouldn't be. I believe the 57+ is the hotter pickup by spec, but functionally, I don't find that to be true. 

59 Tributes are pretty cool. I think they only used them for a year or something like that*, but they have a thing.

*Looked it up, and they used them in 2014 and 2015. Lots of rumors on why they disappeared from the lineup, but nothing official. 

53 minutes ago, RobB said:

I don’t see why they’re so desireable. Getting a new b/w/b/w/b pickguard/TRC made. Might put in some 35th anniversary DiMarzios from the stash. 

They have a nice growl I think, and they are pretty compressed. That would be my guess. They aren't as articulate as the BBs or the 59s (and probably 61s), but they let you get away with a little more.

3 hours ago, murkat said:

57’ classics are very dependent on minute adjustments. just a quarter turn on height adjustment or pole piece adjustment yields a significant difference in tone (s).

I have them in several guitars now and I'm pleased with them. In my latest Tele "Boss 429" build, the single '57 Classic at the bridge is requiring some height tweaking to work out some uncharacteristic wooliness. So...Murkat, as usual, is correct.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:12 AM, LucSulla said:

I really only buy 2013 and beyond Traditionals. I think 2016 is the only year since where they are weight relieved (as far as the actual Traditionals - not sure about the Trad Pro models), though not if you buy a plain top version. That's the only wrinkle I know of with those, and admittedly a strange one. 2014 Trads are oddballs due to using 59 Tributes that year. 

Do you know anything about the 2016-2017 Tratditional T's? They have no pickup selector ring, and the trussrod cover says "Traditional T". 
What is different about them, compared to an ordinary Traditional?

11 hours ago, django49 said:

LP Art.jpg

17 LPs, 34 pickup covers, 17 poker chips, 16 pickguards.  I can't tell how many bursts - between the resolution of the pic and the resolution of my eyes, I could believe there's a goldtop at the bottom.  I also can't tell how many ABR-1 vs Nashville.  But zero first-fret inlays.

17 hours ago, Disturber said:

Do you know anything about the 2016-2017 Tratditional T's? They have no pickup selector ring, and the trussrod cover says "Traditional T". 
What is different about them, compared to an ordinary Traditional?

In 2016 and 2017, the only "T" I know of is the Traditional "T" vs "HP".  The T stands for "Traditional"... because Gibson. The HP has the different neck, titanium nut, carved heel, and all that business. The T is just a regular Spec Les Paul, though for some reason in 2016, they went back to weight relief on the T version EXCEPT the plain tops. In 2017, they went back to no weight relief. 

...because Gibson. 

Never seen one that say "Traditional T" on the truss rod cover though. The HP and T had the same truss rod cover. 

This sight is pretty useful in keeping up with the 2013-2019 Traditional line. 

http://www.gibsontraditional.com/list-of-models/

Their model lineup was pretty confusing when I picked mine up. 2016 standard with locking tuners, coil splitting, blower and phase switches. No poker chip and pick guard in the case, waiting for those wanting to drill holes and cover up the beautiful maple. 

front.jpg

Dont know tons about Ls but always wanted one and finally grabbed a 93 Classic, one of the first run of those. Less than half the cost of current custom shops but from what i read, essentially the same.  It has a 60s neck but not too skinny and seems like a good lp to me. 

also it has a little age on it, like me    So i tend to appreciate that  

while I was looking i also thought about sg, yamaha sg, weddington etc as alternatives, and actually bougt a Yamaha sbg  full disclosure - i am selling it - not because it isnt actually a better playing guitar, but because it just isnt what i wanted for a long long time   

so go get your lp  

keep an eye out for the first gen classics  like everything else they are often way overpriced but every once in a while they are more reasonable  

best of luck on the hunt  

18 minutes ago, stedge said:

Dont know tons about Ls but always wanted one and finally grabbed a 93 Classic, one of the first run of those. Less than half the cost of current custom shops but from what i read, essentially the same.  It has a 60s neck but not too skinny and seems like a good lp to me. 

keep an eye out for the first gen classics  like everything else they are often way overpriced but every once in a while they are more reasonable  

The early 90's Classics are great. I have a 1991. Slim neck. I love it, very playable. Got a pair of first gen 57 Classic paf's in it as per recomendation from @bubs_42 . It's a great Les Paul. I was tempted to buy an R8 a few years ago, but decided that the Classic stays. It sounded just as good, and I liked the neck better on the Classic.

y4moVT3BULubSJkcsi0WTDzX6YNZTJlSpf2PiiiZ 

Oh, and btw in that other thread abotu Oxford and Chapa Heeyah, don’t forget the other schools in this area if you are looking.  Duke, NCState, UNC Asheville and others, etc.  Lots of places around this area if you happen to be looking academic, LS.  Not cheap any more, but all the same not metro east or west coast, either.  There are still reasonable places and prices to be found.

Now to your regularly scheduled show …..

7 hours ago, Disturber said:

The early 90's Classics are great. I have a 1991. Slim neck. I love it, very playable. Got a pair of first gen 57 Classic paf's in it as per recomendation from @bubs_42 . It's a great Les Paul. I was tempted to buy an R8 a few years ago, but decided that the Classic stays. It sounded just as good, and I liked the neck better on the Classic.

y4moVT3BULubSJkcsi0WTDzX6YNZTJlSpf2PiiiZ 

I want a plain top pretty badly. 

10 hours ago, stedge said:

Oh, and btw in that other thread abotu Oxford and Chapa Heeyah, don’t forget the other schools in this area if you are looking.  Duke, NCState, UNC Asheville and others, etc.

There's an old joke here in NC:  

I'm wearing this Wolfpack/Pirates/Mountaineers shirt because I went to NCSU/ECU/App State.  You're wearing that Heels shirt because you went to Walmart.

Archived