Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Almost-cool Chap on the bay.

I bet you could get some really cool sounds out of this thing, between the sustainiac and the scallops. I kinda want it to experiment with, but I'm not going to take the chance, as I've never played a Sustaniac or anything with scalloped frets.

Higly modded shredder.

Hamer never did scalloped rosewood boards (and only rarely agreed to do ebony) becaues they felt that it would be unstable. I wonder if that was just being ultra-cautious or if rosewood scalloped fretboards really are a recipe for flimsy twisty necks.

Hey Tobeereno and Mike,

I saw that guitar and thought what a cool Chapparal w/ a Sustainiac to check out. Then I saw the scalloped fretboard and thought, "What kind of jerk thought of scalloping a fretboard like that on a valuable guitar?" Bummer. I guess he wanted to be Yngwie Malmsteen or some other shredder type of guy.

I've played Chapparals with Sustainiacs and they're way cool to get overdriven notes to sustain and feedback. If I did bid and won the auction on that guitar, I'd have to send the neck to either GMW or Ed Roman's Guitars, remove the frets and fretboard and redo the fingerboard with ebony. What a cool guitar with a messed up neck.

Guitar George

the neck could be stable, I think I was just saying that Hamer didn't trust rosewood for scalloping.

FWIW, there *is* a difference between super-jumbo frets and actual scallops, and scalloping is nice, once you get used to it.

I love Dunlop 6100 frets. I can`t stand the looks of scalloping, but it may play well. Not my cup o tea though. If you guys think 6100 frets are big, there are some rare guitars out there with 6000 frets, stupid big!! Jack.

Archived