Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Speaker IR or Simulator

BoogieMKIIA

Question

Looking for someone with experience using an IR pedal or analog speaker simulator live, to feed the board.  Some boxes are super flexible and complex, though I’m thinking I would dial in one setting and leave it.

We are going IEMs and in many places, keeping the amp way down or even no speaker would be good. My Quilter Superblock US works this way but I would also like to be able to use my combo amps and rack preamp. I can feed the IR with FX send or a send from a THD Hot Plate

There are cheap ones on Amazon (Sonicake), a TC Electronic Impulse IR Loader, H&K up to the Torpedo C.A.B. M+ 

6 answers to this question

I was just playing with my old H&K Redbox ii the other day, it does not sound terrible through a tiny monitor, more testing would be needed to know for sure, I'll have to drag a full size powered monitor over there.  The tech21 sans-amp tech seems to work well, I used to go direct a lot to the board from the xlr out on the Trademark 60 amp (using the amp on a stand pointed at me as a monitor), but as far as I know tech21 never made a standalone di box like H&K used to do, - and still does apparently. 

It looks like there's a lot to choose from nowadays, and lots of good reviews too. I'll be interested to see what the other guys here are saying.

Two weeks ago I played my Quilter Superblock US direct to the board, no speaker, we used IEMs. Not sure I had things set the best as I judged by IEM. Maybe it sounded OK out front.  

Looking around, I could get a Friedman mic no mo for not so much. Combine with my Hot Plate and amp of choice.  No additional AC cord or wall wart.  But, would only have a 4 x 12 Celestion emulation.  If I keep stage volume down by master or Hot Plate, I can just hang my e906 over the cab and get the character of my speaker. Only thing missing would be speaker response when driven hard.

Would still like to know if others have tried speaker emulation, IR, etc and their experience.

i picked up a Digitech CabDryVR a while back but never was in a situation where i needed to use it.  It's basically just a foot pedal with a dozen or so IR's in it and designed to drop onto the end of you pedalboard to go straight to the FOH.  Never had to use mine but they go for about $70 used.

I bought a Two notes Captor X for recording. Although I haven't yet used it for live performance, I can see where it might be useful. It has a Speaker In (from the amp) and Speaker Out (to your cabinet, if you so choose); a three-way attenuation switch if you want some amp output going to a cabinet for stage presence; Left and Right XLR outputs; handles up to 100W; provides Bluetooth control of the box from your smartphone (or USB-connected control from your PC) for cabinet/IR selection, mic placement, mic gain, reverb, double-tracking (a slightly differently EQ's signal in left and right channels to emulate double-tracking), EQ, and other audio controls; and a MIDI USB, in case you drive your rig using a MIDI switcher. There are a number of cabinet IRs available for purchase for modest amounts, and I'm sure the Intertubes is full of other IRs that can be loaded.

I looked at a Captor M+ since I have an attenuator.  For live use, maybe overkill if you don't intend to dial up different emulations. But seems powerful/flexible.

When I get some extra cash I may get an IR or other device just to check it out and see if it would be useful for a live situation. No doubt would be useful for recording.

Archived