Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Off market or sold - MuchXS / Eric Rumbinas built 5F1 Champ style amp - $535. (Added a Collings OM1 and G&LASAT)

Update 3/1.  I wasn't receiving interest, so I sold both guitars along with one more to a large retailer today.  I also sold a Pro Jr and will keep the Champ.  Thanks.

I posted this amp on TDPRI yesterday and thought I’d list it here should there be any interest.  It’s a hand-wired amp based on the classic 5F1 Champ circuit by Eric Rumbinas / “muchXS.” A frequent builder and poster at the TDPRI for a while, especially in 2013 when I bought it.  I don’t believe he has posted in some time, however. I’ve seen a few posts asking about him, but that’s about it.  

He said he tweaks the 5F1 circuit a bit, but I don’t have a schematic. 

The amp has a 6”x9” speaker.  Eric explained the choice, “The 6"x9" gives me a choice of vintage speakers everyone else seems to ignore.  Real vintage Jensens and Oxfords without the vintage Jensen price!  I think they provide a little better bass compared to an 8" speaker.”  He also included a baffle with a cut out for an 8” speaker should I decide to use that (just a baffle, not an extra speaker.)

It also has two inputs. One is standard, the other, in his words is, “a Gibson GA-5 style fixed bottom cleat to my '50s sized cabinet.  I add a speaker jack centered in the cleat.  Again, it's functionally a little different.  It cuts out the internal speaker and sends full power to the extension speaker.  That means you can use it at home or in the studio with a low volume vintage internal  speaker or plug it into modern speakers for surprising volume.”

I’ve always used it as a combo with the stock speaker and have not tried the extension jack. 

I paid $535 in 2013 and waited a little over three months for it.  I would like to net the $535, which I think is a descent deal for a hand-wired amp, albeit with an MIA builder.  Should someone be near Northeast Ohio I’d be happy not to ship it, but we can work out costs otherwise.

Here’s a short video of the wiring/interior.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnwQorlfqCc

Very tempting. But I don‘t know if it‘d be worth shipping overseas nowadays.

37 minutes ago, gorch said:

Very tempting. But I don‘t know if it‘d be worth shipping overseas nowadays.

Out of curiosity I calculated a FedEx rate for a 25lb package in a 16"x16"x10" box insured for $800 from where I am to Paris, France.  It said $475-564.  Yow.  

6 hours ago, TBP said:

Out of curiosity I calculated a FedEx rate for a 25lb package in a 16"x16"x10" box insured for $800 from where I am to Paris, France.  It said $475-564.  Yow.  

Thanks a lot! Party‘s over before it began.

By the way, if anyone is interested I'm also looking to sell a 2012 Collings OM1 acoustic for $3,000 and a 2012 G&L Korina ASAT Jr II (1 of 100) for $1,200. Plus shipping/fees on both.  I haven't listed them anywhere yet, but I can create full listings should anyone be into fancy acoustics or wicked sounding (but humming) P90 korina electrics.  I'm nervous about shipping the Collings, though.

• TBP changed the title to MuchXS / Eric Rumbinas built 5F1 Champ style amp - $535. (Added a Collings OM1 and G&LASAT)
2 hours ago, Pieman said:

Curious  where in northeast ohio.  I just bought a Weber 12A125A alnico for my tweed deluxe clone and I have a Gibson GA6 so I have the tweed thing covered. GLWTS.  Good price on the amp. Should go fast.

Thanks.  I'm in the center of the snow belt, between Chardon and Madison.

• TBP changed the title to Off market or sold - MuchXS / Eric Rumbinas built 5F1 Champ style amp - $535. (Added a Collings OM1 and G&LASAT)

I updated above, but I wasn't receiving interest, so I sold a Pro Jr and will keep the Champ.  Both guitars were sold to a large retailer, so let me know if you want to watch.  It kind of hurt to sell, especially to a retailer, but it's behind me.

Archived