Hamer Fan Club Message Center

One thing I'll give the new Extreme song, "Rise"...

On 3/17/2023 at 10:59 PM, veatch said:

Solo is beyond my meager playing ability,  but I wouldn't put it on any top 10 list, or even in the top 5 Nuno solos.  The lick starting at 2:55 is pretty trick. That alone is worth the price of admission.  

Apologies, as I'm sure nobody gives a flying rip what I think. It's better than I'll ever do. : )

I've got your back. Tried to make it through the solo twice and couldn't do it. Impressive technically but not musically, and I have unconditional respect for Nuno. He's on Vai's level in terms of having absolute command of the guitar. But I won't fall in line because Rick Beato says it's a great solo. It's not.

And I also got STP vibes from the song.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dude has chops. To die for.

But I made  the mistake of listening to the Dio tune with the killer Viv Campbell solo immediately before pressing play on the Extreme song.  Just the Campbell tone and playing is just so much more appealing to me…but that speed-muted part Nuno plays is beyond cool! It heartens back to when a new VH record would drop and we’d hear something so wild on guitar that we’d scratch our heads saying “How’d he do that?” Through a haze of pot smoke.  So Nuno brought that to the party in spades.

I liked the boy band BGVs. It makes the song accessible.

Edited by Jakeboy

On 3/20/2023 at 4:43 PM, BubbaVO said:

It’s fun revisiting Nuno’s work.

Gave Get the Funk out a listen. Been years. I heard it on MTV when the album was fresh (and no one had heard More than words yet). Loved the horns and the attitude of the chorus. So I bought the LP. I would love if they incorporated a horn section again on the coming album. It is what made this track stand out above the rest.

• Like 3

I like the production.

I like the way the drums were Mic'd and how they sit in the mix.

And It's a tight song so....

Yeah, I like it it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, veatch said:

Warning - don't watch if flashing video can induce epileptic shock ..

I almost forgot what Gary Cherone looked like with long hair. I completely forgot what he looked like with long STRAIGHT hair… 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

This still holds up as one of Extreme's finest performances:

Fun fact. Drummer Paul Geary moved on to become a very successful manager. His company had The Smashing Pumpkins, Godsmack etc. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Geary  He was (is) a great drummer.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 4:48 PM, Travis said:

Loved the solo. Thought the song as a whole was nothing special. I’ll most likely check out the rest of the album eventually. 

I realize I'm adding nothing to the conversation, but this, exactly this ^

• Like 2

On 3/21/2023 at 6:43 PM, veatch said:

Now that we're more than 15 years removed from that garbage trend in rock (Extreme is kinda late to the party here... this song in 2005 instead of 2010 might have done some business), I can appreciate that Extreme is basically trying to sneak in to the charts a pretty killer stoner rock song by disguising it as a Saliva or Kid Rock kinda thing. 

Edited by LucSulla

I will never not be impressed with what Nuno did in the solo starting at 3:05 of Lil Jack Horny (should be queued up). I've checked the tab/transcription, and there's no way this is a delay bounce trick, and it doesn't just follow a symmetrical pattern. He's changing the string pattern for every group. And he's improved as a guitarist since then.

I know it's impossible to define "best" guitarist, much less select one. There's speed, fluidity, note choice, innovation (where EVH probably takes the cake), clarity, rhythm/groove, even tone (which is generally decided on by the guitarist's ear, so is still more the guitarist than the gear). 

But whatever metric you choose, Nuno has to be right up there with the best for rock guitarists.

Edited by Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame
improve word choice
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I will never not be impressed with what Nuno did in the solo starting at 3:05 of Lil Jack Horny (should be queued up). I've checked the tab/transcription, and there's no way this is a delay bounce trick, and it doesn't just follow a symmetrical pattern. He's changing the string pattern for every group. And he's improved as a guitarist since then.

I know it's impossible to define "best" guitarist, much less select one. There's speed, fluidity, note choice, innovation (where EVH probably takes the cake), clarity, rhythm/groove, even tone (which is generally decided on by the guitarist's ear, so is still more the guitarist than the gear). 

But whatever metric you choose, Nuno has to be right up there with the best for rock guitarists.

Great visual of Nuno’s hands during that exact part of his solo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Man, I like this one too. The solo here makes me want to buy this album! 

Edited by ZR
  • Like 1