Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Need advice for an Import HAMER Echotone from Korea (or Indonesia?)

Dear experts,

I need help and advice for a red Made in Korea-Import HAMER Echotone, Ser. Nr. 9805704 , which is offered at Germany's "eBay Kleinanzeigen". This guitar would be my first Import Hamer. But unfortunately I have no clue about Imports.

This is my favorite Echotone: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/hamer-echotone-es-335/2367224272-74-2457

HAMER Echotone ES 335 in Braunschweig

My questions:

- Which production year (or even month) was it made? Which factory?

- How is the MiK-quality standard generally? Are there differences between older and younger MiK-Hamers?

- Is the guitar worth € 350,- (around 330,- Dollars)?

Below are fotos of anotherr Import XT-Echotone, from Indonesia, in tabaccoburst ( I'm not so interested in), which is also offered:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/hamer-echotone-xt-335-vs-vintage-sunburst-fame-koffer-case/2183530936-74-2008

Hamer Echotone XT 335 VS vintage sunburst Fame Koffer case in Herne

Indonesia or Korea: Which country of production has better quality?

I would be very happy, to get some help and experienced tipps about Imports, especially Echotones, or where I can inform myself...

Thank You very much in advance.

I'd say go for it. The Korean Echotone was my first Hamer. Maybe think new hardware later, but see if you like it. They're the best of the imports (Korea).

I'm guessing 350 of yours is similar to $350 here, great price.

The Korean made stuff is pretty good overall. No idea about the factory but these were made late ‘90s early 2000’s. Not a bad price either. Case? 

Korean is significantly better quality.

The import serial numbers are meaningless for determining manufacture date, etc.

Also…WTF is up with the body shape on the Indonesian one?!  😳

12 hours ago, Vintage Hamer-Lover said:

Dear experts,

I need help and advice for a red Made in Korea-Import HAMER Echotone, Ser. Nr. 9805704 , which is offered at Germany's "eBay Kleinanzeigen". This guitar would be my first Import Hamer. But unfortunately I have no clue about Imports.

This is my favorite Echotone: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/hamer-echotone-es-335/2367224272-74-2457

My questions:

- Which production year (or even month) was it made? Which factory?

- How is the MiK-quality standard generally? Are there differences between older and younger MiK-Hamers?

- Is the guitar worth € 350,- (around 330,- Dollars)?

Below are fotos of anotherr Import XT-Echotone, from Indonesia, in tabaccoburst ( I'm not so interested in), which is also offered:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/hamer-echotone-xt-335-vs-vintage-sunburst-fame-koffer-case/2183530936-74-2008

Indonesia or Korea: Which country of production has better quality?

I would be very happy, to get some help and experienced tipps about Imports, especially Echotones, or where I can inform myself...

Thank You very much in advance.

I am far from an Expert:

I've purchased 3 Early Korean Hamers. A Chaparral Bass which had a bolt on 3 piece neck. A Californian with a Bolt on 3 piece neck and a Special one piece Glue in neck Bound Flame Maple top.
On all three I found it was best to change out, Tuners to Grover for the bass. Used Hamer marked Schaller for the Cali and W.German Schaller for the Special.
The sound greatly improved by installing CTS Pots and better switches for the guitar, the bass was Vol Vol tone pots. Then the Pickups NOS OBLs for the Bass and Seymour Duncan JB and 59 for the Special and Rio Grande BBQ humbucker and single coil size Seymour Duncan 59 Humbucker in the Cali.
These changes made the instruments sound and look great. 
You may not need to change anything at all and it is a great price.
I did all the work myself so It was just the cost of parts including a few I purchased on this forum.
I gifted the Cali to my niece and will be gifting the Special in the future.
The Special feels like an old friend and the neck is just right for me. Not too BaseBall Batty and not as slender as the Cali which is perfect for a shredder!

I just wanted to say if you purchase it you may need to swap out some of the cost cutting parts factory installed but the builds are very solid especially for the price!
This is just my opinion.
Thanks,
Ham Rex

20230319_010258.jpg

20230319_010339.jpg

20230319_010606.jpg

Wowh! 😀Thank You guys for Your great advices. Very kind, substantial and reliabable.

I'll buy the red Korean Echotone.

Already curious about the comparision and differences to my US Models... In case of upgrading needs I got great tips from all of You 💪.

I had a MIK Echotone and loved it. The only real weak spot were the tuners. The pickups were a bit flat but still sounded great through my old Vibrolux.

Most of those Hamer Slammer series guitars (First generation Korean) are excellent quality. Some come close to the USA models. I currently have 2. A Californian which I love, and a Daytona. I looked an an Echotone before but did not pull the trigger. The Koreans are much harder to sell should you decide to upgrade. But they are usually good enough to keep anyway.

Archived