Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Caught Steve Morse Band Last Night

Have always wanted to catch Steve Morse live and finally got the chance last night. Had 4th row seats at the Keswick, a 1300 seat venue . It wasn't even half full. Lightly attended.

Steve and the band (Van Romaine and Dave La Rue) were tight and relaxed. Steve was fluid and precise AF, shifting effortlessly between numerous styles and selections from various points in his career.

I did discover one thing: I have limited tolerance for non-stop quasi avante garde all-instrumental performances. As impressive as Steve and the band were, after a while, I started to notice I was yawning, checking my phone a lot and fidgeting in my seat. We left as he began the encore. Didn't care. I'm gonna chalk it up to my age as well. :P

IMG_0088.jpeg

• Like 4

Steve is a total monster! I caught a one-man show of his back in the early 90's... It was just after his 'Southern Steel' album came out, his band was off somewhere else and he did a lot of looping, etc., so it sounded like a full band. It was in a small comedy club, and I was seated right in front of the stage, literally conversation distance. First half was electrified acoustic, the second half was balls to the wall. He is a true virtuoso.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MCChris said:

I'm a huge fan of his lettuce.

Dude's a monster drummer. You have to be to jam with Steve.

Saw Morse w/ Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, and Paco DeLucia all on acoustics back around ~84. Steve differentiated himself by playing some country & bluegrass licks and kinda stole the show. 

• Like 3

I've been a big fan for a long time. I first saw Steve in 1978 with the Dregs and my mind was blown. 

He's a monster in so many ways. He's so much more than just a shredder.
One of my favorite acoustic tunes is Steve Howe's 'Clap'.  Check out Steve Morse playing it. 

Edited by santellavision
  • Like 1