Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Props to Josh Gravelin

I have been playing mostly a Tele the past year or two.  Last night I brought the Les Paul to play on a 38 Special and a few ZZ Top songs.  Wow! The drummer said he had to look over when she heard the LP.  Two special build Gravelin pickups are certainly a factor. I also have two Ultimates with slight tweaks. Same reaction when it gets played.

I'm sure there are many great pickup winders and I have not tried them. I do know what @JGravelin can do, it is fantastic.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, veatch said:

Everything I've gotten from Josh is top notch (and I tend to be picky)  

Two words:

Josh Gravelin… 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not to mention he is incredibly reliable and a great communicator, and just a really good vibes guy.  Some people have talent but are kind of jerks.  It's pretty cool to have talent AND character.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

I have been playing mostly a Tele the past year or two.  Last night I brought the Les Paul to play on a 38 Special and a few ZZ Top songs.  Wow! The drummer said he had to look over when she heard the LP.  Two special build Gravelin pickups are certainly a factor. I also have two Ultimates with slight tweaks. Same reaction when it gets played.

I'm sure there are many great pickup winders and I have not tried them. I do know what @JGravelin can do, it is fantastic.  

YES he is!   uktr2wS.jpg

I've got a couple of his pickups that came in Friday going into an old Les Paul. I don't think I'm going to get them in today before I go out of town for a month, but I'm REALLY looking forward to getting them in that guitar. It was my #1 for years, but I largely quit playing it much after throwing some Lollar Overwound Imperials. They never quite worked right in there. 

Josh gave me a ton of feedback on which way to go, and the pups in the Shishkov scream. I've no doubt Ole Red will be back in the rotation as soon as I can get them in. 

• Like 3

I own one guitar that isn’t loaded with Gravelin Pickups. Josh has managed to give me everything that I have been looking for. My one and only Hamer that I purchased a couple months back is on the bench getting a set of Gravelin Humbuckers right now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JGale said:

For me it was erectile dysfunction or ED as it's known. Ask your Doctor...

I asked my doctor. He said he didn't know anything about your wiener problems and couldn't tell me if he did.

Edited by alantig
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Josh rewound the T-Tops from my 79 LPC this March, it went from meh to awesome thanks to his work.
He’s real good people, too. 

He's a man of many talents.  If you haven't already, you should check out his bass playing with Erik Koskinen's band.  I had the pleasure of seeing them play last month, and they are always highly entertaining.

Oh, and I've got his pickups in 5 of my guitars.  Josh rocks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I feel incredibly lucky in having known Josh and his kickass pickup voodoo for a good while now. Our relationship had the potential to go horribly awry when I sold him a Jackson Dinky he wanted to use as a Floyded pickup testing vehicle. Unbeknownst me, the neck on the Dinky was warped. I honestly did not know as I had spent a good amount of time and $$ to fix it up from the condition I got it in and the tech who did the fix, merely adjusted the bridge to compensate for the warp. Understandably, Josh was a little peeved as I hadn't disclosed the warping. I gave him a full refund and pleaded for mercy :P

Shortly thereafter, at Jay's suggestion, I ended up using him to recreate the Murkat Floyd Specific HB pickup that was in my Gibby Axcess. He patiently deciphered my guitar speak and created what is now my go-to HB; the mighty Mongoose and all it's lovely variants. I've got his p'ups in all but 4 of my 17 guitars. One of them being an acoustic electric. :P

There is no finer human being I've worked with on all things guitar-related. His knowledge, his willingness to keep improving his craft and satisfy picky customers (like me) are second to none.

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 2

This is a timely thread as I realized I hadn't posted about a recently completed parts guitar that was completely built around a set of Gravelin pickups.  I already had the raw body from guitar mill, really light swamp ash.  It got a very thin white blonde lacquer finish done by Dustin Bloomer with some nice subtle checking. I found the warmoth roasted maple neck second-hand but it had not been mounted.  Somewhere in the process I emailed Josh, told him I was looking for a super-strat type set with a big fat rawk humbucker in the bridge and big piano tones in the neck and middle, but somehow for the bridge and singles to sound related/compliment each other.  Josh went to work on the recipe, and what he came up with is freaking awesome.  It's hard not to live on the bridge pickup all of the time, it slays- but the singles are big and bold as well, and the middle & bridge together in the 2 position is fantastic.  I used a Sophia 2:22 trem which I think I like, but it's endlessly tweakable, I may end up playing with some floating setup, right now it's blocked for dive only.  Anyway she's easy on the eyes, and a total win sonically, too.  Thanks so much @JGravelin!!!

GJ4VgcNh.jpgD1RWvWwh.jpg

• Like 6

21 hours ago, currypowder said:

A set of Gravelin Charlottes took my recently acquired Hamer Special FM LE from good to great, both in looks and tone.

I put a set of Charlottes in my Silver Standard, and it woke that guitar right up.  I was considering selling it prior to installing the Charlottes.  It's a keeper now.

• Like 1