Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sounds Like This Guy Has Hit 'Old Guy Mode'. I Think I Have Too.

I still have GAS now and then, but only in relative moderation to what it used to be.  I don't tone/gear chase much anymore, as I'm pretty happy with what I've got right now...and the gear I have gets used often with no regrets, and with little consideration of what anybody else thinks about it.  Of course, YMMV.

https://www.premierguitar.com/pro-advice/acoustic-soundboard/be-happy-with-the-guitar-you-have

• Like 4

IMO the commentary makes sense, but I'd like to see what he has to say about whether or not to dispose of a collection prior to the collector doing the lawn limbo. Obviously I'm way into the Old Guy Mode and I have the Medicare receipts to prove it (I'll be 73 in two months). If it's a sell-off I wonder what he'd say about how to proceed  w/ the disposition, which one(s) to keep, etc. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I get more that way all the time. Especially when I cycle through some of the YT folks hawking, sorry, demo’ing products and giving their own unbiased opinions, I realize few of these things are making much difference in their sound from one video to the next.  
Tim Pierce is an awesome player, but if you watch a number of his videos, his tones are so close no matter the amp or pedals that it also makes me question all of it. 

• Like 2

I struggle mightily with trying to adopt a more sensible, monk-like attitude of less is more. It takes hold for a brief time, I sell off a bunch and then I'm back to buying or ordering guitars. Onset of Old Age at one point had further prompted me to whittle down to the only those that truly get played. I'm zeroing in on the must have 12. Eventually, I'll move down to the top 5.

Even as I inch nearer to the 60's, I honestly can't imagine life without a minimum of a Strat, a Hamer, a Gibby, a HEL and it'll be a toss up between a Charvel and the incoming Ted Stevenson Custom.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mathman said:

I am not good enough to need many guitars, but I am just good enough to want more guitars.

I have learned to accept it.

I still am in the grip of the delusion that if I find just the right guitar, my playing will be that much better. :P 🤪

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, scottcald said:

Yeah, I get more that way all the time. Especially when I cycle through some of the YT folks hawking, sorry, demo’ing products and giving their own unbiased opinions, I realize few of these things are making much difference in their sound from one video to the next.  

The best YT videos are when people are demoing 100 watt amps at bedroom level. Or all these damn pedal reviews, through an amp at bedroom level. WTF. 

And don't get me started on the morons who demo gear with a Stratocaster. WTF. They all sound the same. They all sound lame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I love the excitement of the hunt and anticipation of arrival but have learned it's short lived until a new shiny butterfly comes along 🦋

There are a couple of guitars on my watch list but am suffering from cognitive dissonance in finishing dozens of other guitar projects that have been in limbo for years/decades 😕

Edited by Dave Scepter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

I love the excitement of the hunt and anticipation of arrival but have learned it's short lived until a new shiny butterfly comes along 🦋

There are a couple of guitars on my watch list but am suffering from cognitive dissonance in finishing dozens of other guitar projects that have been in limbo for years/decades 😕

Me too.  I have like 5 or 6 in various states of um, un-finished-ness. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2023 at 1:03 PM, Disturber said:

And don't get me started on the morons who demo gear with a Stratocaster. WTF. They all sound the same. They all sound lame.

How dare you, sir. My parts Strat is the best sounding guitar I've ever owned (in 45 years of Gibsons, Fenders, Hamers, Ibanezesss, etc).

BK Jamestock.jpg

As far as the OP's discussion, I am all set w/ my 2 main gig guitars (Strat for rock, Ibby George Benson for jazz). But I still buy, mod, & often sell a revolving door of cheaper guitars to use as gig backups or to leave at work, etc... I enjoy buying & modding stuff, it's fun.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Brooks said:

How dare you, sir. My parts Strat is the best sounding guitar I've ever owned (in 45 years of Gibsons, Fenders, Hamers, Ibanezesss, etc).

BK Jamestock.jpg

As far as the OP's discussion, I am all set w/ my 2 main gig guitars (Strat for rock, Ibby George Benson for jazz). But I still buy, mod, & often sell a revolving door of cheaper guitars to use as gig backups or to leave at work, etc... I enjoy buying & modding stuff, it's fun.

Are we going to talk about your total disregard for the No Shorts On Stage rule?

• Haha 5

Just now, kizanski said:

Are we going to talk about your total disregard for the No Shorts On Stage rule?

Won't do any good! Outdoor gig >80 degrees = shorts for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2023 at 5:16 PM, mathman said:

I am not good enough to need many guitars, but I am just good enough to want more guitars.

I have learned to accept it.

That's a t-shirt right there.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hmm, a few years ago, I thought I was free of G.A.S.. I bought a Mesa Mark V:35 head and matching 1x12" Thiele and got a Fender Acoustasonic. I wanted a new bass amp and a few pedals. That was in 2019. Now, I got a new bass amp, a Fender Bassman 800. Love it. I use my Gibson RD Artist Bass a lot and also my Hamer Chap Bass, as well as a Gibson Q-80. Right now, I'd love a Gibson Victory Artist Bass or build a copy of my Q-80. But all in all, I am happy with the basses I have. With guitar, it has become worse. I want another amp, something like a Mesa Lonestar, Fender 68 Pro Reverb or Victory V40 Deluxe, and for a guitar I really want a Gibson Victory MVX. They have become hard to find, especially in nice and all original condition. The prices for these went up. It really seems investors bought a lot of music equipment. Also the Fender Am Pro ll Tele Deluxe seems nice. But I still love my guitars. Yet, I might sell some stuff. I rarely use the Fender Prosonic, the Marshall amps, a Fender '72 Pawnshop, two Fender Strats, the pink Hamer Sustainiac Chap., two Kramer Focus 3000.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing, I must say, I find it helpful. Back in the days you had to walk into a store to find something you might like. It also meant you were dealing with the actual instrument and not just pictures/ videos etc. Nowerdays it's a very different story. Don't get me wrong, I love browsing the web for new gear and once insta gets on board with its ads and suggestions I find myself contemplating a new guitar a few weeks after the aquisiation of already another new instrument. As a consumer I basically feel like I'm not in control of the situation (even though I "only" own about eight guitars). There's always something new, any kind of "limited" edition Fender/ Gibson gets my attention instantly plus I sold a 1966 CAR Fender Jaguar in 2019 which is now three times as expensive which makes me feel like I made a bad decision and makes me think my future purchases could potentially also rise in value (if I buy the "right" instrument) and then it would be stupid not add a couple more. Don't get me wrong, all of this can be a lot of fun but I already have some great instruments on board and the fact that I spend that much time "doing research" is starting to annoy me. So personally, I will try to calm down, spend less time looking at things and try and play a little more those beautiful instruments I own. Cheers!