Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Icon of the Superstrat Bucket List Part II

You may recall my recent post about my meeting my guitar building idol Grover Jackson earlier this year. I held back a lotta details on that post, but now I can finally say the meetup produced a lot more than a friendship and mutual adoration of each other's knowledge and skillsets.

It turns out what I thought was "bucket list" was just a drop in the bucket, because Carondelet is now collaborating with Grover Jackson. Yes, you read that right. Rather than writing a novella about my excitement, delight and elation, and honestly, my utter disbelief ... I'll just share some of what I put on social media yesterday.

image.png

image.png

image.png

May be an image of 1 person and book

May be an image of measuring stick and text

Insider tips I didn't share via social media ... Grover hand-signed the heel of EVERY neck in this inaugural batch. They are mostly maple, about a half-dozen absolutely gorgeous rosewoods, and two RWs are roasted.

All are quartersawn, two-piece construction (even the maple boards), longitudinal bi-cut truss rod installation, dual-action truss rod, spoke heel adjuster, 10-14" compound radius, Jescar 58118 NS18 jumbos. We chose the same neck profile used on the guitars GJ ghost-built for Dave Friedman. I will do all the fretwork and finish all the necks in a hand-rubbed Danish oil, aka the same recipe, techniques and ultimately the feel of 80s San Dimas superstrat necks. 

May be an image of guitar

May be an image of guitar and text

To save code creation time and money, we used a CAD program Grover already had on file with a generic headstock, that's why I blurred them. This is what the finished headstocks will look like.

May be an image of guitar and text

Edited by Jeff R
  • Like 28

This is BEYOND fantastic and cool, Jeff!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

I thought on one of Friedman's Tone Talk episodes he said Grover had retired and that's why he wasn't building for Friedman any more.  

Based on my personal dealings with GJE and the activities I saw going on around me during my in-person visits to the factory, I'd say half of that statement is true. 

Meanwhile, I cut Ruby's head to shape, I start logo'ing in the next week. I have to do it offsite at my climate-controlled storage room because the Shack has no spray booth and outside it is currently 95ish degrees with 95ish humidity daily. The lacquer will never dry haha.

Edited to add, thank you all so much for the kind words.

No description available.

Edited by Jeff R
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Jeff R said:

Based on my personal dealings with GJE and the activities I saw going on around me during my in-person visits to the factory, I'd say half of that statement is true. 

Meanwhile, I cut Ruby's head to shape, I start logo'ing in the next week. I have to do it offsite at my climate-controlled storage room because the Shack has no spray booth and outside it is currently 95ish degrees with 95ish humidity daily. The lacquer will never dry haha.

Edited to add, thank you all so much for the kind words.

Thanks for your perspective.  I think it's great he's still doing stuff.   The headstock shape is really nice.  Kind of quietly classy, if that makes sense. 

• Like 1