Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Glenn Tipton Joins Judas Priest at Power Trip. Plays a Hamer

I was at Power Trip last weekend in Indio Ca. Judas Priest was on the bill. They brought their former Guitar player and longtime Hamer guy Glenn Tipton on stage. Glenn played 3 songs with them. In this video you can clearly see the Hamer Headstock several times. For example at 3:39. Hard to tell what model it is.

• Like 10

Gee whiz, I have mixed reactions to the vid.

On the one hand, I salute Glenn for getting out there and having a go with (some of) his old mates. Parkinsons is a bitch- I lost my pops to it. For him to press on and step out on that stage is commendable.

On the other hand, for folks that want the full fury and energy that heavy metal and JP (used) to embody, this was symptomatic of what ails many of the aging metal-ers and hard rockers still performing. It's an geriatric dodder-fest on stage and it's disheartening. It takes the wind out of one's sails if they came expecting the fire and passion that typically defines the genre. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

if they came expecting the fire and passion that typically defines the genre. 

Priests set that night was quite impressive. Rob Halford's voice is still on point. I saw Priest for the first time in 1982. Halford doesn't sound much different. The only other classic lineup member is the Bass player Ian Hill. Like you said. Sad to see Glenn in that condition but nice tha he can still come out and do a few songs. AC/DC came out next. Angus still has it. Brian Johnson's voice was in and out as was Axl's the night before

• Like 3

Thanks for posting the vid. I'm always glad to see Hamer in the limelight and if Glenn, the band, fans etc. get something from it then that's awesome.

As for me, it left me sad. It's not how I want to remember him. I saw them in the 80s and prefer to keep those memories the strongest, not diluted by the ravages of time. I've passed on shows lately for the same reason. 

Again, I admire his courage to be there, but just like great athletes, sometimes it's just time to move on. IMHO.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, diablo175 said:

On the other hand, for folks that want the full fury and energy that heavy metal and JP (used) to embody, this was symptomatic of what ails many of the aging metal-ers and hard rockers still performing. It's an geriatric dodder-fest on stage and it's disheartening. It takes the wind out of one's sails if they came expecting the fire and passion that typically defines the genre. 

Geez, Just let the guy enjoy his last bit of life doing what he loves most... it was only for 3 songs, Just swipe left for fuck sakes 😜 

Edited by Dave Scepter
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Well, this one hits home.  My wife is in late stage ALS and her struggles are heartbreaking to watch.  These neurological diseases are hellish.   I salute Glenn for being out there....he has had a long struggle.  No one should go through this....hard on friends and family, as well.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

56 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Geez, Just let the guy enjoy his last bit of life doing what he loves most... it was only for 3 songs, Just swipe left for fuck sakes 😜 

Not taking that away from him. If you don't like my perspective, just scroll past. ;)

46 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Not taking that away from him. If you don't like my perspective, just scroll past. ;)

On a lighter note, did you happen to check out the lunar eclipse?.. I used my welding helmet to take this photo 📸 

DSCN7541.JPG

• Like 1

Many of youse know I was diagnosed with Parkinson's about three years ago. I haven't really felt inclined to do any updates or whatever but it is indeed a bitch. Major lifestyles changes to which you have to be constantly attuned. There are good days and bad days but the Rx protocol usually helps...and the protocol about taking certain pills at certain times is a definitive example of how attention  must be paid.. 

Thank God I can still type. I'm actually beginning to ruminate along the lines of "legacy" (and at my age I'd probably being thinking about it even if I ws healthy).  I guess I'm trying to make up for lost time and er, youthful indiscretions by trying to be as prolific as I can now.. Something like Parkinson's will make you contemplate your priorities. I admire Tipton for his effort. It turned out better than might have been expected FWMOW

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Mr. Moseley:  What era of experimental aircraft are you interested in?  I grew up near Edwards AFB and saw some "stuff".  Interested in your area of interest.

I saw Priest a few times in the 80s at their peak powers, in my opinion.  Glen and KK were a well oiled machine.

No, I don't like seeing some of the folks in that state, and I noticed Glen played the Living After Midnight solo in a different position so he didn't have to slide way up the neck at the end, but I think it's cool they bring him out for a couple of songs and I'm glad he's able to do it.  

Priest is now the Ritchie and Rob show.  Ian seldom came down front anyway and Andy Sneap just seems like the hired sideman that he is (not taking away from his skill).   For me though, no Glen AND no KK = a much lesser Judas Priest. 

• Like 3

^^^RE Jon C. I was a buff RE the Space Race as a teen in the '60s. The Right Stuff  rejuvenated that interest and of course it dominoed into the test programs at Edwards. In the early '90s  when I was working a guitar show at Pomona, I got up to Edwards and got a behind-the-scenes tour from the base security chief. Stuff I saw wasn't on public display but it wasn't classified, either. Wrote a column about it for Vintage Guitar, and it was later printed in a 1994 anthology. Scanned it and attaching it here. Enjoy

Edwards SR-71 trainer.jpg

Edwards AFB 1.jpg

Edwards AFB 2.jpg

• Like 7

Like many here I saw JP in their prime.  When Richie came on I had tons of reservations, however he set me straight from the very first opening riff and he continues to impress every tour. 

There are a very few precious artists whom I am now willing to pay to see. Lately, more are hitting the “not paying for that” bin. 

We saw the Scorpions on last the “Rock Believer Tour and I was pleasantly surprised at the overall performance. 

Go Glenn! 

Hamerica

• Like 5

.Bought Sad Wings of Destiny when it came out in the late 70’s and have seen them in concert a couple of times. I think their past couple of recent records have been very good and if this was the 80’s they would’ve been big sellers. From what I have seen from videos they still put on a good show and the newer band members are excellent. The two things that help Priest to stay relevant and not a nostalgia act is surrounding yourself with top musicians and still having the desire to put out new material even when you know the days of gold records and radio play are gone for the type of music you play. Rob still has the voice. Ian is still a solid bassist and being a boat anchor on stage has probably extended his career by a decade. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

The two things that help Priest to stay relevant and not a nostalgia act is surrounding yourself with top musicians and still having the desire to put out new material even when you know the days of gold records and radio play are gone for the type of music you play. Rob still has the voice. Ian is still a solid bassist and being a boat anchor on stage has probably extended his career by a decade. 

And they change their set list up.   Yeah, you know there's a chunk of songs you'll get at every show, but tour to tour, they mix things up.  I don't remember the song (because I don't know the deep catalog all that well), but a couple of years ago after a JP show, my buddy said, "Wow - I never thought I'd get to hear (insert that song) live again."

• Like 3

I say good for Glenn for enjoying a bit of stage time and JP for writing new music and touring. What should they do, naysayers? Take up needlepoint and feed the fucking ducks every afternoon in the park?

It's not 1985 any longer and none of us are able to stay young forever. You just keep driving forward and do the best with what you've got. 

I miss KK and Glenn, but Faulkner is legit in every way.

All I know is that 2023 Judas Priest beats the shit out of Taylor Swift and pretty much all of the garbage that passes for "music" today.

They are still a fantastic band and I'm taking my sons to see this tour. We went to a Firepower tour date and they literally couldn't believe what they witnessed. The Mighty Priest, even past their prime, still kicks serious ass.

Edited by Bluesking
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bluesking said:

What should they do, naysayers? Take up needlepoint and feed the fucking ducks every afternoon in the park?

It's not 1985 any longer and none of us are able to stay young forever. You just keep driving forward and do the best with what you've got. 

I miss KK and Glenn, but Faulkner is legit in every way.

No, but at what point do they say this isn't that band anymore?  Foreigner tours with no original members.  Sneap produces and has other projects, not sure he's on for the long term. If Rob and Ian start having problems and retire, do they replace them?  Are they still Judas Priest at that point?  

Do we just accept that bands are now becoming franchises that will keep revolving members like it's a touring production of Cats?   Kiss got a lot of flack for either Gene or Paul saying they'd replace themselves in the band someday.  

If you dig it, great, keep digging it.  I'd rather they just said, "Hey Priest is gone, here's a new project."

• Like 1

Like many others, JP has been a strong musical influence throughout my life.  I think about what Glenn is going through and what goes into each note he plays.   I’m in awe that about 10 years after his diagnosis he can still perform.  He’s defying a deteriorating body - I can’t think of anything more metal.   

Having seen the band tour relatively recently (no Glenn at that show) I can say that Andy and Ritchie delivered plenty of energy.  Ritchie was a virtuoso.  Rob’s vocal performance was still impressive even if he struggled under the weight of that crazy coat.  I wouldn’t take that video and conclude the rest of the show was geriatric. 

Just for the hell of it …

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

No, but at what point do they say this isn't that band anymore?  Foreigner tours with no original members.  Sneap produces and has other projects, not sure he's on for the long term. If Rob and Ian start having problems and retire, do they replace them?  Are they still Judas Priest at that point?  

Do we just accept that bands are now becoming franchises that will keep revolving members like it's a touring production of Cats?   Kiss got a lot of flack for either Gene or Paul saying they'd replace themselves in the band someday.  

If you dig it, great, keep digging it.  I'd rather they just said, "Hey Priest is gone, here's a new project."

It's really up to them - it is the music business after all, and I'm sure the JP enterprise employs a substantial amount of people. 

Don't get me wrong - I don't blindly accept partial/zero original-member bands. My preference is almost always the "OGs" when it comes to rock/metal bands.

In some limited cases, replacement members make the band stronger and extend their shelf life - there's no hard & fast rule one way or the other. 

In 1984, my brother and I would fistfight over "best metal band of all time" - Maiden was my band, Priest was his. We took it all very seriously. 

Nearly 4 decades later, I'm simply grateful that these bands exist at all and I can attend a decent live hard rock concert with my sons. It's all gravy at this point.

• Like 3