Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NAD: TopHat Club Royale Mk5

Jakeboy

Quite the circuitous route to get here….after stupidly selling my TopHat Supreme Sixteen to help fund a jet ski I didn’t get, I missed that Vox tone. Bought an amp from @bubs_42, traded it for a Budda which @Travisbought and sold a bunch of other stuff. The seller happened to be a trading buddy of @bubs_42 (what a coincidence)  and I freaking scored. This Carolina Blue tolex matches my TopHat Mini Junior HG which is all Marshall. 
I love this amp. The Mk5 does both Top Boost and Normal channels via a switch. Does Vox perfectly and the added mid control interacts with the treble control to also nail Marshall 18 watt tones. I want it for Vox tones so I swapped in an Emi Red Fang for that chime and grit. Instant Petty tones. Add a treble booster and we are into Blackmore era Purple. My G&L Legacy and my Firebird love this amp. 
In addition to a treble booster, a Hotcake clone and a Timmy work really well. Strymon Flint for verb if needed but the oversized cab brings a lot of  air by itself. Just sharing cause I am officially now done with amps. I have 4 that cover every need I have, sonically. 

IMG_0836.jpeg

IMG_0837.jpeg

IMG_0838.jpeg

Edited by Jakeboy
  • Like 19

• Jakeboy changed the title to NAD: TopHat Club Royale Mk5

Nothing to complain about really, rather compliments to make. Congrats! There‘s nothing but a Vox.

• Like 1

The Top Hat's I've played have sounded phenominal. Easy to dial in(not like a Boogie) If I ever get another amp it'll be a Top Hat Club model. Or totally confuse myself and find a Emplexador to try. Heard good things but I know what the Clubs can do!

Great Score!!👍

On 11/8/2023 at 1:34 PM, Dutchman said:

The Top Hat's I've played have sounded phenominal. Easy to dial in(not like a Boogie) If I ever get another amp it'll be a Top Hat Club model. Or totally confuse myself and find a Emplexador to try. Heard good things but I know what the Clubs can do!

Great Score!!👍

The MiniJunior High Gain I had Brian make in 2022 is essentially a 20 watt Emplexador using 6v6s and in an oversized Princeton Reverb cab. A rocker. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

The MiniJunior High Gain I had Brian make in 2022 is essentially a 20 watt Emplexador using 6v6s and in an oversized Princeton Reverb cab. A rocker. 

bet that one is a blast to wail on!

• Like 1

I am loving this amp! It just sings with a treble booster and I just love the Vox jangle when just breaking up on the edge is sublime. I find the speaker is key to this sound combined with the Vox circuit.  Just so good. Versatile as well …I roll off the treble knob as it thickens right up with lower Mids. Slam that with a treble booster!

Johan Segeborn did a review on YouTube describing this amp as having a magic treble knob….it is the key to the versatility, IMO.

• Like 1