Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Recommendations For A Good Reasonably-Priced Paint-Stripping Heat Gun?

crunchee

Question

Spring must be coming, or I'm just rebelling against the effects of Cabin Fever, as I'm feeling motivated to work on a previously semi-dormant guitar assembly project.  I've got a beat-up/damaged Fender Baja Tele body in Ash that I want to strip the polyester/urethane/whatever finish off of.  Anybody here have any cost-effective recommendations for DIY?  Thanks in advance!

Edited by crunchee

14 answers to this question

I was going to recommend the gun I've used around the workshop and the pickup bench that's perfect for every need I have, but Google says the Kobalt HG2000 has been discontinued. But it has features you may seek out on a comp. You see the trigger has "1" and 2" ... those are variable settings I can flip between with a little digital counter on the butt of the barrel. I can also assign fan speeds. I also have three of four attachments that affect the focus of the hot air.

image.png

Clipboard_01-28-2024_01.jpg

Considering you don't need a high-dollar industrial strength name brand that you will use daily as part of your livelihood, this Harbor Freight piece has a lot in common with my gun at about half what I paid for mine eight years ago. The HF has many good reviews, and they have a great return/exchange policy should you need or want it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1600-watt-12-amp-14-temperature-dual-speed-heat-gun-64112.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You really don't need anything. fancy… I've used my Milwaukee Heat-gun for decades... Hi-Low temps, total work horse, came with a paint stripping tip... unfortunately, probably long gone availability... 

20240128_114819.jpg

Edited by Dave Scepter
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

You really don't need anything. fancy… I've used my Milwaukee Heat-gun for decades... Hi-Low temps, total work horse, came with a paint stripping tip... unfortunately, probably long gone availability... 

20240128_114819.jpg

80's packaging ❤

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

You just proved my point on Reliability/dependability

My Dad loved to buy tools which he rarely used, so now I have inherited them all and not only do they have fantastic '80s graphics on the packaging, but they're made so well.. they last forever

So is this the safest and preferred method of stripping a finish off a guitar? Getting down to the bare wood without damaging it?

Are any other tools or scrapers necessary? Or does the heat gun take it right off all by itself

Edited by Cboss

20 hours ago, Cboss said:

So is this the safest and preferred method of stripping a finish off a guitar? Getting down to the bare wood without damaging it?

Are any other tools or scrapers necessary? Or does the heat gun take it right off all by itself

a heat gun is a good start. certain strippers work well before firing after. acetone will melt binding fwiw

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here you go: www.masterappliance.com

They have a wide range of products at different price points.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2024 at 10:36 AM, crunchee said:

Spring must be coming, or I'm just rebelling against the effects of Cabin Fever, as I'm feeling motivated to work on a previously semi-dormant guitar assembly project.  I've got a beat-up/damaged Fender Baja Tele body in Ash that I want to strip the polyester/urethane/whatever finish off of.  Anybody here have any cost-effective recommendations for DIY?  Thanks in advance!

Maybe a grinder would work better to remove the first 2 inches of polyester 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣......Hey, I've got a '73 Fender Precision, I know.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, murkat said:

acetone will melt binding fwiw

To be fair a heat gun will as well if the operator isn't being mindful. 😄

• Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 4:24 PM, Cboss said:

Just scuff then paint over it~

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stike said:

To be fair a heat gun will as well if the operator isn't being mindful. 😄

Very true.

I think it's important to get a heat gun that has a digital readout, to aid in Not melting things.

Anybody know the melting point of Ivoroid? 

On 1/31/2024 at 4:47 PM, Cboss said:

Is this a lot better method than sanding?

yes. again, its a start. practice. go to harbor freight by a 16 dollar heat gun and practice before you go martha stewart on a high dollar piece.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1