Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Replacement Tuners and Logo for 80's Vector

Special J

Question

So as I'm settling in with the this somewhat bastardized Vector, I've decided I'm definitely going to start with replacing the tuners as that's something I feel comfortable doing myself. Are Schaller M6 3+3 the direct modern replacement? 

Any sources on a proper headstock logo? I think, at least for now, I'll keep the natural headstock as I kinda dig the natural look. So a black logo would be cool. 

I feel silly for asking this, but we're still avoiding Ed Roman Guitars like the plague even in 2024, right?

IMG_2081RSZ.jpg

IMG_2083RSZ.jpg

14 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Cboss said:

Good luck with your changes, that is an awesome guitar! What is the backstory with Ed roman?

Thanks! He had a weird love/hate/steal relationship with Hamer. I think maybe he was a dealer at one point and lost his dealership, but then started building guitars and sticking the Hamer name on there? I'm sure someone here knows more of the story, but there are a couple of those famous ER rants that you might still be able to find where he goes off on Hamer and Kaman. Funny stuff. But yeah, they apparently still have Hamer parts left over and were one of the first google hits when I searched "vintage Hamer parts". I bought my first electric from Ed when he was in CT, in like 1988. 

Edited by Special J
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Special J said:

Thanks! He had a weird love/hate/steal relationship with Hamer. I think maybe he was a dealer at one point and lost his dealership, but then started building guitars and sticking the Hamer name on there? I'm sure someone here knows more of the story, but there are a couple of those famous ER rants that you might still be able to find where he goes off on Hamer and Kaman. Funny stuff. But yeah, they apparently still have Hamer parts left over and were one of the first google hits when I searched "vintage Hamer parts". I bought my first electric from Ed when he was in CT, in like 1988. 

His rants are pretty funny, I have read those, I've also called on some obscure Hamer parts and they've never had what I needed in stock, but as cynic noted above there are some very deep Parts drawers here, if you post a want to buy you will most likely find it.. I have been incredibly lucky to have found everything I've looked here which let me finish at least one complete restoration :) Thank you Peter!!

What pickups are in your new vector?

Edited by Cboss

13 hours ago, Special J said:

Are Schaller M6 3+3 the direct modern replacement? 

IMG_2081RSZ.jpg

IMG_2083RSZ.jpg

The Schallers should be direct replacements "unless they reamed out the original holes to accept the Grover ferrules" but doubt they did that... you'll have 2 extra mounting holes to deal with... looks like the original holes are still there...

I have about a dozen or so older Vectors so please reach out if you have any questions 

Dave 

Screenshot_20240208_084858_Reverb.jpg

Screenshot_20240208_085106_Reverb.jpg

Edited by Dave Scepter
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cboss said:

They will work. If you want to referb a 2006 Hamer import. But Hamer USA used Schaller made tuners in the 80's

I see original '80s Schaller M6 tuners (AKA the ones you really want) on eBay and reverb pretty often. You should be able to find some for $100 + or -

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cboss said:

His rants are pretty funny, I have read those, I've also called on some obscure Hamer parts and they've never had what I needed in stock, but as cynic noted above there are some very deep Parts drawers here, if you post a want to buy you will most likely find it.. I have been incredibly lucky to have found everything I've looked here which let me finish at least one complete restoration :) Thank you Peter!!

What pickups are in your new vector?

Neck pickup is a Schaller, bridge is some sort of DiMarzio. No sticker. Looks too new to be an early 80's PAF though. I did really like the PAFs that were in my Special, but they're pretty pricey. For that money I think I might just get a set of WCRs. 

And thanks, yeah, I'll probably put up a WTB post here.

• Like 2