Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hanging on to 100 Watt Amps

2 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Also, for now, I keep it. I bought a pair of new Fane M65s to go with some greenbacks in this 4x12 instead because that is how addiction works. 

Ohhh please let us know how you like the Fane's. I keep seeing them and wanting to get a new closed back 2x12 with some inside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stonge said:

There's a Quad preamp and a Simul-Class 295 in the basement that could probably use new tubes; hopefully I planned ahead and stashed some spares back in the day. Now I just have to find them or go get a HELOC lol.

IF you ever elect to let the Quad go, you should get a great price for it. Esp if you have a working original footswitch. 😉

41 minutes ago, django49 said:

IF you ever elect to let the Quad go, you should get a great price for it. Esp if you have a working original footswitch. 😉

I have the FU-2, and a FU-2a footswitch and a couple of spare cables on the shelf. I actually use a Rockman Midi Octopus for switching as it let's you run both channels at the same time. There's a Proco R2DU on the front end just in case I need more gain lol.

I bought the wire and jacks to put it back into action; it's one of many projects that I need to get working on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crunchee said:

Anybody remember this movie?  Go to roughly 2:35 to see all those tubes in this scene.  Of course, they don't have a clip on YooToob where Michael Pare takes a fire axe to most of them in slo-mo near the end of the movie....

So that's what happens when the tubes are mismatched.

• Haha 1

Weil I have the 100W Vintage Modern and it IS a lovely amp. It's not 100 watt loud though. My 50 watt JMP's are louder. 

Currently I own two early, mid 1970's 50 watt JMP 4-holers. One '85 2204 head (best Marshall ever built), the VM "100" watter, a ´88 2205 50 watter. And a Laney GH100L from the early 00's.

I also have a 1985 4010 50 watter (as great as the 2204) and my old modded JTM50/Artiste combo from 1973, 50 watts. 

I run these with a Rivera Rockcrusher recording at home and an ordinary Rivera Rockcrusher in the rehersal room. Currently own three 4x12 cabs. Two from the 70's and one from the 90's, but with early 70's G12H-30's.

Looks like we are putting the band on hiatus for a while. So I will need to do some downsizing. But I will definately keep the two 1970 JMP's and the 2204. Cabs are harder... I live in a 100 square meter appartment. No room for big cabs. But it would hurt to sell the 70's cabs for sure. 

I did the mistake of selling my old Marshall head 20 years ago, when I was in between bands. I regretted it as soon as I boxed it up to ship it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Disturber said:

Weil I have the 100W Vintage Modern and it IS a lovely amp. It's not 100 watt loud though. My 50 watt JMP's are louder. 

The Splawn QR is what fills the gap for that Plexi/800 levels of volume. Plus, it's one of the few Boutique amps I've played that actually sounds like a beautifully modded Marshall without moving away from what a Marshall sounds like. That's ultimately why I let go of the BE-50 Friedman and Bogner Shiva. They had been refined to the point of not having any teeth left to me. 

That damn Splawn is so unruly that you have to check your pockets after playing it to make sure it didn't steal your lunch money.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 3/18/2024 at 3:17 PM, crunchee said:

Anybody remember this movie?  Go to roughly 2:35 to see all those tubes in this scene.  Of course, they don't have a clip on YooToob where Michael Pare takes a fire axe to most of them in slo-mo near the end of the movie....

18 hours ago, LucSulla said:

That's ultimately why I let go of the BE-50 Friedman and Bogner Shiva. They had been refined to the point of not having any teeth left to me. 

That damn Splawn is so unruly that you have to check your pockets after playing it to make sure it didn't steal your lunch money.

I get what you mean about the Friedman. They sound "studio musician nice". But when in a band they just don't cut it for me. Would love to check out a Splawn. 

My last big-watt amp was a Peavey Satriani head that sounded like ass until you hit the sweet spot at about 2/3 volume. And then you couldn't be within 50 feet of it. It was both reeeeeally cool and just stoopid at the same time.

On 3/18/2024 at 11:19 PM, Disturber said:

I did the mistake of selling my old Marshall head 20 years ago, when I was in between bands. I regretted it as soon as I boxed it up to ship it.

It was a mistake to sell many of the amps I've owned. I did keep a '79 2204, I had two others, newer and older. 

I should have sold my '72 Ampeg VT40 instead of others that I sold, but it was my first real amp, and I get attached to things. It's not a bad amp at all, but less fun to carry around every year.

The only 100 watter around here is a "custom build" dual showman type circuit in a '70ish Plush chassis, but it's meant for bass, and 100w is not a lot for the bass.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hamerhead said:

It was both reeeeeally cool and just stoopid at the same time.

12 hours ago, Jimbilly said:

It was a mistake to sell many of the amps I've owned. I did keep a '79 2204, I had two others, newer and older. 

432530575_951542729935954_62531133069859

• Haha 5

In 2016 I got a Mesa Mark V35 and I think, small size low watt amps are enough for me. Yet, I don't want to give up on my Marshall 6100+1960A and 6101 amps. The 6101 is compact (though with 35 kg it is heavy gear, I am able to carry it though). I want to get a SV20H Plexi and a Jubilee 2525H in the future as well as a Fender Super Sonic 22W combo. I might then be done with buying any more amps... hopefully. I want to get a new pedalboard too. There is still the guy in me who would love to get wild in front of a loud fullstack amp with noisy feedback stuff, though I could do that on a fullblown 30-50W amp too, with two 4x12 cabs. No real need for 100W.