Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Early April Fools Gibson?

2 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

img_3650.jpg

That's it. I was racking my brain to recall where I'd previously seen that godawful body shape.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 5:47 PM, kizanski said:

This is a joke, right?

1710782050525-png.1285312

Discuss.

GPT question was: „Design a Gibson guitar everybody cries for“. Turned out to become a tear drop.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, gorch said:

GPT question was: „Design a Gibson guitar everybody cries for“. Turned out to become a tear drop.

Hence my (half-joking) questioning if this was an April Fools guitar.
It looks like a guitar created by someone or something not possessing the gift of sight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Seems like Gibson is being sued by PRS and Ted McCarty's estate over this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess I'll be the lone voice of dissent and come right out and say it, I kinda like the red and the black models. 

• Like 4

Some Rickenbacker Combo guitars from the '50's had a similar body shape, too (no affiliation, and sold long ago):

Combo 400 Guitars | Fretted Americana Inc.

Wouldn'tya know it, DGS just got in a new one (definitely NO affiliation!):

Theodore Standard - Antique Natural – Dave's Guitar Shop (davesguitar.com)

"Only" $1999!  <_<

Edited by crunchee
  • Like 1

I like that color, the grain peeking through, and I applaud thrusting the stoptail unto the bout, thus balancing the aesthetic… but, as the saying goes:

Without a wraptail, you MUST acquit!” - Johnny Carson 

Edited by JGale
  • Haha 1

Ted McCarty was a brilliant man, whose influence on the guitar industry can hardly be overstated. However, every great design stands on the shoulders of a bunch of bad ones. The Flying V was great, the Futura was ok but made much better with the Explorer.  The Moderne... there's a reason they kept it on the drawing board for 25 years. This one should have stayed a drawing.

• Like 2

Yeah sorry but IMHO that looks just awful, a lot of money and materials were wasted, what the hell were they thinking?.................well I  guess they weren't. Its time to get ready for another load. k6ixSQT.jpg

Edited by ARM OF HAMER
  • Haha 1

On 3/20/2024 at 8:49 AM, Jeff R said:

img_3650.jpg

Proof there's no "original thought" in the world anymore.  Everything is a derivative of something from the past.

I'm thinking of those god-awful Frank Brothers Arcade guitars.  

On 3/19/2024 at 10:15 PM, velorush said:

Bucovac had one (albeit, loaded with P-90s) a month or so ago raving about how great is sounded.  Call me shallow, but I couldn't get past the looks to care what it sounded like.  In college we would have termed this a "contraceptive guitar" (original reference was 'contraceptive shoes,' but I will take license).

That man can play. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1