MWoody Posted August 9, 2011 Posted August 9, 2011 http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...=3&t=007395Posted at the OFC, thought I'd share here as well.Of all the experiences I have had whilst associating with this OFC Crowd I have to say that its the relationships, both high and low, that I value the most. But you can't put those up for sale and neither would I!But the Instruments are fair game and we are not owners but stewards for a time... and I'm getting old and can't do it justice.If anyone knows any better, please correct me in this story.Once upon a time in Connecticut, about 1975, when guitars were being made that actually made the sound (instead of 47 pre-set mixes on a pedal) and you could still have a "New" idea...The work order came down and a few of the usual suspects were asked to make an electric Solidbody Deacon that would be set apart from the rest so as to secure the loyalty and favor of Jim Messina. Mr. Gene Hall was the lead and Jim Rickard, Dave Boone and others were part of the Team.The Body with a width of no less than 16", no lamination, solid and high quality Honduras Mahogany features the only "Sandwich" cut process I've seen on any Ovation solidbody. The insides are chambered to cut down on the weight and to add to the axes unique sound.The neck, Two piece Mahogany as well, finished in Poly and supporting the only Maple fretboard found on a Deacon to date. Very Flamy Maple at that with Abalone Dot Inlays in Breadwinner form.The pickgaurd is the icon that drew me in hard and launched an obsession I can't let go of. It is Walnut veneered and Poly gloss finished. It is the fletch of Veneer you see on Jim Rickard's Deacon (AJ's). I assert that JR nabbed one of those as this was being made.Note the Tuner buttons which were taken from the slothead acoustics, remember there were no online parts depots in 1975...Why it came back after being sent to Jim Messina is a mystery.I do know that it was a "Best Effort" on the part of the Ovation Craftspeople and that it is a historical piece amongst the under appreciated works that we all too well know.It is beatiful, irreplacable, unique, historic and beyond my ability to show off to a world that should know better.Original guitar and case, only one blemish to speak of (see middle, back of Neck).I place the value at just under 1/2 of the going rate of a non-celebrity Slothead. http://ovationfanclub.ning.com/photo/album...-messina-deacon
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.