Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bass Gear Report: Strings & Things

HSB0531

Question

With a gig looming close, I finally pulled the trigger on a custom order set of strings and a new preamp.

I've been playing through bi-amped gear since 1978 starting with a BGW 750C and an AudioArts 4100A parametric preamp and using RotoSound RS-66LDN strings.

I finally retired the (2nd.) 4100B and bought a Warm Audio WA73-EQ Preamp.

Curt Mangan Strings makes custom gauged sets, and I had some done because my band tunes down to D# G# C# F#.

I use their sets on my Hamer 12-string Standard too.

I had a couple of sets done in an evenly spaced 50/70/90/110 Nickel over Steel for the 4-string Standard.

My reason for this is that I always find an imbalance in tone and volume level when using regular gauged sets.

The balance and sustain with the Curt Mangan set is amazing. Better tone, very balanced between strings and a much more even string resonance.

The Warm Audio WA73-EQ is a great version of the NEVE 1073 channel strip at about 1/3 the cost.

I did an outdoor gig Friday running the Standard Bass through a QSC GX5 power amp, a single 15" for Lows, and 1-12" for the Mids/Highs.

Everything in the signal chain is analog, including a DBX 2-way stereo x-over which I use to balance out the Lows/Highs.

I found I needed only a slight bit of upper midrange boost (2-3 dB.), on the preamp because the low end was really full and unrestricted, while the highs were open and natural sounding. I used the neck and middle pickup volumes to create the sound I wanted with no need for the bridge pickup.

I also removed the Keeley Limiter pedal because the bass now has a smoother response with a lot less peaking.

I'd highly recommend trying a set of Curt Mangan strings, and if you have the chance to try a Warm Audio WA73-EQ on bass, I think you'll like it.

Additional Comments:

The DBX 2-way crossover point was 70 Hz. with a 40Hz. high-pass filter.

Speakers were: (1) Fane Studio Colossus 15S for the Lows, and  (1) Eminence Delta Pro 12A for the Mid/Highs

The preamp high frequency control wasn't used because it has 10, 12, and 16 kHz. selections on the rotary switch, which are out of range for this bass.

The midrange rotary has a wide selection of frequencies to choose from with 360, 700, 1,600, 3,200, 4,800, and 7,200 Hz., and,

it made it quick and easy to dial in a great sound the first time using it.

Getting back to the strings, buying 2 custom sets cost me a few dollars more than 2 sets of RS66 RotoSounds.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Archived