wyldbil Posted March 7, 2005 Posted March 7, 2005 At the end of the day, my Carvin X-100-B head just doesn't have enough gain on the front end. Torres Engineering has a hotrod kit for the Carvin X-amp amp ($59) that promises to fix that exact dilemma.Has anyone here played around with Torres' stuff? Is this a good solution?I have high hopes for the Torres kit and a new set of tubes, due to budgetary constraints. Anyone...? Anyone...?
belgian Posted March 7, 2005 Posted March 7, 2005 I had some Torres kits for the Fender red knop champ 12.It improved the little one, but not really spectacular. These are all very simple mods that a good amp tech can do much cheaper.Try to find out what's changed and get the parts yourself, they are all very common and cheap - said my tech.
Hunter_Brown Posted March 7, 2005 Posted March 7, 2005 I cannot speak to the kits....but I've had two amps mod'd by Dan Torres and the work was shoddy, overpriced and took way too damn long to justify a lackluster end result. Both amps have had to be reworked almost completely since then.There are tons of tube amp mod options...my advise is to exclude Torres as one of them. Again, personal opinion.
wyldbil Posted March 7, 2005 Author Posted March 7, 2005 Wow. Thanks. You guys may have just saved me some heartache!Can anyone suggest an alternate source for a hotrod kit? PLEEEEEEEZ?
MoJohn Posted March 7, 2005 Posted March 7, 2005 Maybe someone on the Carvin discussion board would be in the know?Carvin BoardPeace,MoJohn
Hunter_Brown Posted March 7, 2005 Posted March 7, 2005 One of the many....check out Erickson Audio in Bellevue, WA. Does all of the tech work on my stuff and the band's stuff as well. Talk to Brian Rowe. If they don't take the job, they'll definitely know some grade AAA pple that will.www.ericksonaudio.comAdendum: Sorry, I realized after the fact that you were referring to kits. Brian may still be able to help with a suggestion.
wyldbil Posted March 8, 2005 Author Posted March 8, 2005 Yeah, I can't afford to be shipping that TANK all over the country or pay a bunch of labor, hence the DIY bent for this project. Guess I'll contact them and see what they say!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.