Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Vintage Celestion Question

mc2

Vintage G15C Question

Anyone happen to know if Celestion G15C's of the '60s era used two differently rated voice coils on the 15 Ohm marked ones?

I see the ones in my late '60s Orange Matamp 2x15 cabs are rated 50 watts and 15 Ohms but I also see some other same era G15C's rated 35 watts...same cone numbers, same Ohms, same frequency response rating, identical labels (except for watts,) etc.

The reason I ask is that some of mine seem to have the 50 watt ratings as tiny stickers OVER the original 35 watt ratings on the labels?!?!

...and I know that Celestion eventually just marked their G15C's as the more standard 16 Ohms from the odd 15 Ohm ratings.

So....wondering if the 35 watt G15C's and the 50 watt G15C's are two totally different animals or the same things but marked differently...possibly just re-rated at some point by the company?

I searched the web but cannot find the info anywhere.

I'm using the cabs for bass, so I don't want to blow up 35 watters if they are not the same as the 50 watters in the other cab. What I'm actually trying to do is swap out the Fanes in my second OrMat 2x15 bottom with matching Celestion G15C's...have a line on a pair of vintage ones from the 60s but they read "35 watt," not "50 watt" like in my other cab.

Anyone know?

Well, they could have changed out the 35w. voice coil for a 50w. using the same frame, motor assembly and cone/surround.

Changing the former from paper to fiberglass (FANE invented the fiberglass V/C concept) , and going with a higher temp. glue, could account for the increase in wattage rating.

The formers & the glues used were always a weak part of the 60's designs.

Or they could have changed the test standard.

So, yeah, I'd say that they're identical, from a tone standpoint.

Archived